Lifeguard to EMT-1 certification

TwoTone

Hey guys had a few questions I need help with, Im a certified Red Cross lifeguard with 4 going on to 5yrs experience and have been thinking about getting my EMT-1 (EMT-B) certification since last year. So my question is what more would I have to do to accomplish this and does my experience count toward this at all?. My goal is to continue working as a lifeguard during the summer and to be an ambulance driver for one of the local companies during the rest of the year while Im in college. It seems like this would be a great part time job for me and the pace remaining relatively the same. I live in the Brea / Fullerton, California area if that will help your responses at all.

Does your lifeguard experience count academically towards getting an EMT license? No.

Will ambulance companies care that you've work as a life guard past any other non-EMS/non-medical job? Most likely not.

Will you able to just be an "ambulance driver?" Nope, prepare to spend at least some time (all time if under 21 due to insurance requirements) as the attendant. As a quick tip since you're exploring this as an option, unless you're very specifically discussing people who only drive (which is essentially only found in rural/volunteer areas, which OC definitely is not) or specifically the crew position, I'd refrain from calling EMTs or paramedics "ambulance drivers."

Will you be able to work part time and adjust your schedule during the summer? Probably, but it's going to depend on the company you work for.

Does your lifeguard experience count academically towards getting an EMT license? No.

Will ambulance companies care that you've work as a life guard past any other non-EMS/non-medical job? Most likely not.

Will you able to just be an "ambulance driver?" Nope, prepare to spend at least some time (all time if under 21 due to insurance requirements) as the attendant. As a quick tip since you're exploring this as an option, unless you're very specifically discussing people who only drive (which is essentially only found in rural/volunteer areas, which OC definitely is not) or specifically the crew position, I'd refrain from calling EMTs or paramedics "ambulance drivers."

Will you be able to work part time and adjust your schedule during the summer? Probably, but it's going to depend on the company you work for.

no no I was speaking about the position as driver, ill be happy with either position but eventually would like to become a driver.

no no I was speaking about the position as driver, ill be happy with either position but eventually would like to become a driver.

Most companies hire people to do both. And your partner most likely will want to swap off with you so they don't have to attend the entire shift (and do all the paperwork)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.