First Post - Just graduated and passed the NREMT!

jmdjax

Well,

I plan on going to paramedic now, and postponing fire school, as I'd really rather be in the medical aspect, plus the reciprocity between states seems a little funny, and don't want to limit myself to Florida standards.

Anyway, I went to FMTI and got my basic. The medic class I'm having a hard time finding a night class (most are shift days), but I digress.

I have heard of a 3 month program you can do after paramedic that gives you your RN. I am unsure of which school does this. (I'm in Jax, FL by the way). But regardless, how is this possible? Most RNs have a bachelors degree, and while I have an associates, how would a paramedic cert and a three month course match up with some of those high end courses that college RN students take?

Am I missing something here?

Anyone have any information on this?

To begin, one must ask what your ultimate goal is.

If you're intent on becoming an RN, then why are you even jerking around with EMS?

Any time you start mucking around with shortcuts, you're not only cheating yourself; but your patients as well. You've already got an Associates Degree, so you already know the value of education. Why start looking for 'shortcuts' now?

I really dont think we need to go into rewards/benefits of proper education versus the 'easy way out', do we?

You are missing a couple things:

1. You should NOT. Not, not not go right into paramedic school fresh out of EMT school. Being a good paramedic is about knowing how to be a good EMT first, and without any experience you have absolutely no idea what that means. Nothing personal against you, but jumping right into medic school is a dangerous disservice to you, your partners, and your patients.

2. There are lots of different kinds of nurses, and only some of them have four year degrees (the BSN and above). Some nursing schools do have a bridge program from Paramedic to RN, but the degree you would get would be just the regular two year degree (the RN). Excelsior College (http://www.excelsior.edu/) has a paramedic to RN online/distance program.

Edited by fiznat

Lone Star : I was not "intent" on becoming an RN. I am interested in EMS, hence why I went for my Basic. I was merely inquiring as to the educational requirements. I was not looking towards EMS as a "easy way out" to RN. I had not heard of this bridge until I was nearly finished with my basic class. I was only inquiring about it as a viable option in my future IF I did not feel this was "shaky ground education."

Fiznat: I am currently seeking employment as an EMT-Basic at IFT companies or hospitals. In my original post I meant that I was planning on doing paramedic before minimum standards for Fire School. Not before aANY job in EMS. As an aside, my nearest opportunity for medic school is August 2011 unless I can get a shift schedule position. In my area, Fire school and Rescue is integrated, meaning I need fire academy if I want to run "911" calls for the city. My other option is IFT or a hospital until paramedic and/or fire academy. I think most cities are like this.

Thank you for the info on the bridge program. I do not know much about being an RN, however as continuing education it seems like a viable option.

This is a topic that has come up frequently here.

To start, I have to agree with LS. If you want to be a nurse then go to nursing school. If nursing is your goal then working in EMS will only get in the way. Find a good nursing program and work on earning a seat in the next available class.

If, however, paramedic is really what you're interested in, then go to paramedic school. I disagree with Fiznat that you need to be a basic for a while before going to paramedic school. A good, accredited paramedic program will be able to adequately prepare a dedicated student, EMS background or not, to function and thrive as a paramedic.

Be careful with the Excelsior nursing program. Some states will not accept online education for nursing. That means that if you go through the Excelsior program and pass the NCLEX (nursing boards), the state in which you wish to be licensed may deny licensure based on where you obtained your education. I don't know what Florida's position is with regards to online initial education for nursing. But it would be well worth checking out.

Most RNs have a bachelors degree, and while I have an associates, how would a paramedic cert and a three month course match up with some of those high end courses that college RN students take?

Short answer? It wouldn't. Nursing and paramedicine, while sharing some similarities, are greatly different. You would do *much* better in the long run to be a nurse first and then come back for your paramedic certification than you would be the other way around.

Am I missing something here?

You're right to be skeptical. You're right to be asking questions. To better help you, however, we need to know what it is you really want to do. Why do you want to be a medic? Why do you want to be a nurse? Simply because it seems like the next step? Why not PA school? Why not medical school? Are those not logical next steps? When you figure out the answers to these questions you'll not only be better preparing yourself for where you want to go but you'll help us in terms of being able to focus answers to your questions a little more directly.

Lastly, LS mentioned it above but it's so important it's worth repeating. Do NOT start down the road of taking shortcuts to where you think you want to be. If you're going to do this (medic, RN, whatever) do it right from the start. Don't cut corners. Don't sneak through. Don't half-ass anything. If you think it's worth doing it's worth doing right. You will come out much better in the long run.

This is a topic that has come up frequently here.

To start, I have to agree with LS. If you want to be a nurse then go to nursing school. If nursing is your goal then working in EMS will only get in the way. Find a good nursing program and work on earning a seat in the next available class.

If, however, paramedic is really what you're interested in, then go to paramedic school. I disagree with Fiznat that you need to be a basic for a while before going to paramedic school. A good, accredited paramedic program will be able to adequately prepare a dedicated student, EMS background or not, to function and thrive as a paramedic.

Be careful with the Excelsior nursing program. Some states will not accept online education for nursing. That means that if you go through the Excelsior program and pass the NCLEX (nursing boards), the state in which you wish to be licensed may deny licensure based on where you obtained your education. I don't know what Florida's position is with regards to online initial education for nursing. But it would be well worth checking out.

Short answer? It wouldn't. Nursing and paramedicine, while sharing some similarities, are greatly different. You would do *much* better in the long run to be a nurse first and then come back for your paramedic certification than you would be the other way around.

You're right to be skeptical. You're right to be asking questions. To better help you, however, we need to know what it is you really want to do. Why do you want to be a medic? Why do you want to be a nurse? Simply because it seems like the next step? Why not PA school? Why not medical school? Are those not logical next steps? When you figure out the answers to these questions you'll not only be better preparing yourself for where you want to go but you'll help us in terms of being able to focus answers to your questions a little more directly.

Lastly, LS mentioned it above but it's so important it's worth repeating. Do NOT start down the road of taking shortcuts to where you think you want to be. If you're going to do this (medic, RN, whatever) do it right from the start. Don't cut corners. Don't sneak through. Don't half-ass anything. If you think it's worth doing it's worth doing right. You will come out much better in the long run.

Hey thanks Mike. I talked to my instructor for EMT-B and he said it is not a bad idea to do paramedic before I do fire school. I do not want to limit myself with fire academy as I am not sure I want to stay in Florida.

I should have given a little bit more of a background, so here it goes:

I'm 25 years old. I left engineering school to do my EMT-B and further this career path. Some would say I am crazy, but during my EMT class I fell in love with the profession. I know the pay is terrible, and I've debated a little bit on "how much is not enough?" but overall, I decided it doesn't matter. This is what I was meant to do. And I DO plan on doing it right.

Now, where do I want to be? Well, ideally, I would like to be FREE. Which is also why I do not want to do minimum standards in Florida. I would like to travel a bit sometime in my life, and there would be opportunity for both paramedic and nursing pretty much anywhere in the world. I had two reasons that nursing had crossed my mind, 1) the higher pay, and 2) the ability to travel, which is also potentially available for medic too. I never anticipate being "rich" in this endeavor, but I do know it will make me happy, and just hope I can make enough to be comfortable.

Of course both reasons are secondary to the fact that continuing education is a necessity anyway. I have spent too much money and have too many student loans to have justified my engineering degree at this point in my life, and took this path and lucked out.

I am currently seeking employment with a couple of IFT companies and one rural county EMS. There are also a few hospitals here in Jacksonville I am applying to, and I am greatly looking forward to breaking into this profession.

I have no images of grandeur, or anything, as I've noticed in a lot of newbie threads, so I figured I'd throw that out there..

Try St Lukes hospital in Jacksonville. I put their ER computer system in. Dr. Bragg is a stand up guy.

I would also look at St. Vincent's. I know one of the nurse managers there so I could give you a leg up if you wish.

Good luck.

I disagree with Fiznat that you need to be a basic for a while before going to paramedic school. A good, accredited paramedic program will be able to adequately prepare a dedicated student, EMS background or not, to function and thrive as a paramedic.

I'm not going to take over the thread with this discussion since it isn't the main question the OP is asking, but I would strongly advise the OP to seek out other opinions on this point before he starts school. We discuss this issue fairly often on these boards, and there are lots of threads with good well-articulated arguments.

As far as Excelsior, I do know a few paramedics in my region who have successfully completed the program and are currently working as nurses. I agree however with the advice that you are young right now and you should do things the right way instead of trying to take these shortcuts. You will be a better provider for it.

Also just some general advice. This job is not always what it seems like it will be from class. I would caution anyone against making EMS a "career choice" without experience in the field. I know you've graduated class and everything, but you still don't really know what you're getting into. The realities of the work are different from what a lot of people expect, and I would advise you (and anyone) to experience it before you make any hasty decisions. Working on a truck doing inter facility transports will not, in my opinion, give you that perspective.

Edited by fiznat

Also just some general advice. This job is not always what it seems like it will be from class. I would caution anyone against making EMS a "career choice" without experience in the field.

I will second that opinion Fiz

But I will go one step further - do not let this job end up defining you. I know too many people who have been left scrambling for a new job when they were injured and couldn't work the field.

I heard the following sentiment from all of them "all I know how to do is be an EMT. It's my life"

IF you follow that logic then you are going to be in trouble. DO NOT let this job or career define who you are. Too many whackers out there who fall into this criteria.

Always have a fall back plan as 10 minutes from reading this post you could suffer a career ending injury and if you have no ability to do something else then you are royally screwed.

I mean Mcdonalds is always hiring but do you want to be stuck flipping burgers or do you want to continue doing something that you like to do?

My fall back was EMS/ER computer consulting and I was able to use it when I got tired of working in the field. I also used EMS as my fall back when I was laid off from my consulting gig 2 years ago.

Always have a FALL BACK plan.

No such thing as a 3 month RN Program from EMT-P to RN. I'm doing that and there are 8 Nursing Courses at Excelsior College; I'm on my seven. You can do one every month but can't complete in 3 months. After the Nursing Courses; you have to wait for the FCCA Practicals then CPE. After this then you'll receive an ASN; w/ this u can take ur NCLEX for ur RN; which can be a 3 month waiting process. Don't buy into quick schemes; you will lose ur money and time.

You should be vollying or working; gain exp as an EMT-B first. EMT to EMT-P is not a step; its not a flight; its many floors apart.

RN and EMT-P are not the same. Nursing is a field centuries ahead. Paramedics would be closing the gap if EMS ppl stuck together and strive 4 change.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.