Getting around to introducing myself...

emsgirl911

Hello-

Even though Ive been a member of "the city" for a while, im finally getting off my cheeks and introducing myself. Dont exactly know what to say, so ill wing it...

I live in the middle of nowhere aka northern New Hampshire. Ive been an EMS apprentice for about 2.5 years now and I LOVE IT! I do about 36 hours of ride time a month with my city's private (and only) service - my area is considered "super rural". I also have taken a first responder course, though I cant really "use it" because I am under the required age to be licensed in EMS above the apprentice level. However, I find the knowledge helpful to my ride time/understanding whats going on for pt. care. I love learning new things about the business, and I am finding EMT City to be a very helpful resource (plus, everyone seems awesome!) Im looking into EMS management/Paramedic as a career. Hopefully later this winter I will be starting EMT - Basic class... CANT WAIT!

Thanks for taking the time to read my "newbie" stuff. Take care -emsgirl911

Welcome EMSgirl911 :beer:

I have never heard of a EMS apprentice before, how does that work?

Well, its basically a step in between basic first aid and first responder. Applicants for an apprentice license have to be at least 14 years old, and Healthcare provider CPR certified. Explorers and/or apprentices at my service are also required to be trained in vital signs, C - spine precautions, use of transport equipment, and BSI precautions before they can do any ride time. Whether everything besides CPR and age requirement are state regulations, I cant remember. We can also do O2 administration, splinting - the easy stuff. What is great about the program is that there arent really any losses if someone decides they dont like it all that much, because it doesnt cost anything for licensure. It is also a great opportunity to get firsthand experience, that way you dont jump right into basic, only to realize that you put all that money into something that you arent going to enjoy. A few people have moved through my post and discovered that EMS isnt at all what they thought it was. Also, the hands-on learning that comes from being an apprentice is WAY better than anything that youre ever going to see in class, because you can run through all the scenarios you want, but without actually using the skills on a real call, you just dont remember it the same way (if youre high school aged, anyways :whistle: )

Take care and stay safe -emsgirl911

*edited for stupid errors made on part of my stupid computer - emsgirl911

Edited by emsgirl911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.