Asking for more responsibility at work..

bogusdill

Hey guys, I will probably regret asking this later but here it goes.. what can i do to show that i would like more responsibility at my agency? i work for a fairly slow call volume agency and recently i have felt like im just showing up and doing whats required and going home. im fairly young and only have about 2 years of experience but i would love to help my manager with schedules, rig maintance, auditing charts or whatever really. i have offered to help several times however i dont want to sound over zealous and appear like im just sucking up, i honestly want more responsibility than just running calls. i was wondering if you guys had any advice for me on how to either ask for more responsibility or maybe there is something that i can just start helping with that maybe i havent thought of... I hope this makes some sense to someone because i would really appreciate the advice. thanks everyone, be safe out there.

I understand what you're saying. That may be more difficult to incorporate into your daily schedule, at a paid agency. However, you could start with a more thorough daily routine? Maybe check everything under the hood, clean the actual compartments and cabinets, be very thorough with cleaning the patient area, etc.. maybe wash and wax the rigs. Typically, while we have a check list, actual maintenance is done by a mechanic for liability reasons; QA is done automatically by the ePCR software. A log book of vehicle checks is a good plan. Perhaps you could look into an education based EMS management or leadership course; or an officer training program?

Maybe even look into becoming an EMS instructor, and taking on a training role with in your service? That may help you climb the ladder, per se.

• Like 1

Adding to what 4c6 said, look for something that you think can be improved. Ask around, see what problems folks have with the status quo- scheduling, check lists, streamlining procedures, training- or come up with something you feel needs to be addressed, and provide a possible solution. Unfortunately, just doing your job better than everyone else does not always translate into opportunities for advancement. You need to be proactive and and promote yourself- nobody else will do that for you. Add to your skill set- take every extra course, seminar you can.

Here's the thing- you need to figure out exactly what your goal is- to move up in the company- which may mean no longer working the streets, become a supervisor, trainer, or start taking management/office/leadership classes to position yourself for that route. The more tools you have at your disposal and the more hats you can wear, the more attractive and valuable you will become to the company.

Find a way to save the company money- that will almost ALWAYS score points with management.

LIke you said, be careful to not step on any toes. Couch your proposals carefully as to not offend, simply provide a better way or even another option. Make sure you are seen as trying to help the company- and yourself, not just trying to stir the pot.

Lastly, give it some time- you also need to get more experience, but there is no reason why you cannot start planning for the future now, so when your time comes, you will be ready to move up.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thank you alot for everything you said, I really appreciate what herbie1 said because i think i was looking at my goals the wrong way, i am not in a position in my career to step into management but what i do want is to be noticed as someone depenedable who can solve the little problems that arise. I also hadnt thought about the money aspect, i work for a great company however its obvious that they see dollar signs. i think in effort to show that i really do want to contribute to the growth of the agency i will start jumping in on the smaller stuff that i see needs to be done.

i know this is a stupid example but i just got off a 24 and over nite our gate opener some how broke, i took it apart and was able to solder the little wire that broke back together. I think this is the kind of thing that will get noticed more than trying to take over one paticular area of responsibility all at once.

I have been around long enough to notice the lazy attitude that seems to creep into some EMS professionals over time, i also have noticed that EMTs and Medics that go further and do well in their carreers do not share that attitude. i think thats my goal is to do well in my career and not gain the reputation of being lazy but rather a hard worker.

Saving money is always good. One example, collars. We would use the single size collars, pay $9.99 each, and they would occasionally reuse them. Whether or not that's bad, is neither here nor there, but they're disposable. Eventually, switched to select a size, again, $14.99 each. I suggested we switch brands, pointed it out in a catalog, bam. Selectable size collars, same fit, good quality, $4.99 each. That's a lot of money at the end of the year. Little changes go a long way.

• Like 1

Thank you alot for everything you said, I really appreciate what herbie1 said because i think i was looking at my goals the wrong way, i am not in a position in my career to step into management but what i do want is to be noticed as someone depenedable who can solve the little problems that arise. I also hadnt thought about the money aspect, i work for a great company however its obvious that they see dollar signs. i think in effort to show that i really do want to contribute to the growth of the agency i will start jumping in on the smaller stuff that i see needs to be done.

i know this is a stupid example but i just got off a 24 and over nite our gate opener some how broke, i took it apart and was able to solder the little wire that broke back together. I think this is the kind of thing that will get noticed more than trying to take over one paticular area of responsibility all at once.

I have been around long enough to notice the lazy attitude that seems to creep into some EMS professionals over time, i also have noticed that EMTs and Medics that go further and do well in their carreers do not share that attitude. i think thats my goal is to do well in my career and not gain the reputation of being lazy but rather a hard worker.

Sounds like you have the right attitude, bogusdill. It's important to set the bar high and to have goals. Sometimes it's not easy doing the right thing- whether in your job or your personal life, but in the end, YOU need to look at yourself in the mirror and like what you see. As you note, there are all types of people in this business, and not all of them may be someone you want to take care of your family member. Always strive to be the type of person you would want to take care of your loved ones and you won't be steered wrong.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.