IO vs. IV in a drug overdose situation

2Rude4MyOwnGood

We give narcan undiluted IVSP just enough to reverse the effects of the overdose (respiratory depression). I'm not sure why you would need to dilute the narcan unless you're giving the full dose all at once; if that's the case, why not just give it slowly in the smallest effective increment?

As far as IV versus IO in this instance, I would hold off on the IO if I could get an IV or give the narcan IM. Sure, IO's aren't the scary beast we sometimes think they are, but I'm not sure why you would need to do one in an overdose when there are so many other options available. IM, IN, can't you give it PR too? Nothing wrong with an EJ either, though I'm not going to go that route unless I can't find another IV site and not if it's just a "protocol" line. Like the IO, it's not as scary as we think it is, but it's still overkill if you're just starting the line due to protocol and not because you actually expect the patient is going to need it.

It makes sense to dilute narcan. Although if you use it IV in 0.4mg increments drawn up in a 1ml syringe and push it slowly you dont have to dilute it.

And if u use the prefilled narcan just push it slow and titrate to resp status not loc.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.