Looking for the first job

DCP Whit

I'm posting this here first because I am pretty new to the city, and secondly because I'm not sure where else it should be posted.

I've recently completed my EMT-B couse, passed my NREMT, EKG trained, and my Colorado State Certification should be processed this week. I've been monitoring the job market for a little while and it's not looking as good as I would have hoped. I'm not discouraged yet, but I'm curious as to how and where some of you got started. Any advice on interviewing or where I should look would be great. I was once proud of my experince and extensive resume in customer service, yet it doesn't transfer to the EMS world.

Thanks

Well I just became an EMT-B as well for the state of MA, but anyways I got started in my local fire dept as a fireman and slowly moved up to being trained and going to school to be an emt, and now look at me I'm the youngest Emt in my dept. But do look around in places such as large towns with full time Emts and or bigger cities if you live close to them that is.... usually ambulance services are always hiring.

Little more info is needed. What part of CO are you in? How old are you?

If you're in the Denver area, you've got DG (which really only hires medics), ACA (which will hire anyone will a pulse), PPS and R/M (which are about to undergo a merger right now, so they've stopped hiring until that is complete, both of them), AMR (mainly IFT in Denver, with 911 in Longmont and other areas. Seniority based on working 911 with them). Oh plus theres the FDs up there too.

In CO Springs you have AMR as the main 911, with ACA doing coverage in Security.

Those are the areas I was familiar with. I know AMR runs more around teh state.

I'm 21 in Denver. I've got my eyes on R/M and PPS, but playing the waiting game. Also Bennett Fire is recruiting vollenters. Im looking for that first paid position though so I can quit where I'm at and work as an EMT, even if it's some BS

ACA-Action Care?

I'm 21 in Denver. I've got my eyes on R/M and PPS, but playing the waiting game. Also Bennett Fire is recruiting vollenters. Im looking for that first paid position though so I can quit where I'm at and work as an EMT, even if it's some BS

ACA-Action Care?

Yep. ACA = Action Care.

And the waiting game does suck, it's why I wound up moving back to NM after getting canned at ACA. But I'm triple state certed so I had a wide range of options.

Asking you age was just cause a lot of EMS agencies don't hire anyone below 21 due to insurance restrictions

Good luck!

Edited by JTpaintball70

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.