New Member, Quick Question

VBob

I was an EMT-B for 12 years. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I ended up in a position where my license expired and was faced with the arduous task of starting over.

I began this task at the age of 43 years old. I'm currently working on my Associates Degree in Paramedicine.

I've often been older than my instructors and preceptors, and definately won the title of 'oldest guy in the class'.

If you're physically able to do the duties that EMS entails, there is no reason why you shouldn't give it a shot.

I've also found that your patients will usually be more relaxed with you than with your younger partners. The general public automatically will assume that because you're older, you've been at this a lot longer than your younger partner. They will trust you more and be more relaxed with you.

NOTE: I am NOT implying in any fashion that the younger providers aren't knowledgeable and excellent providers!

If you are going to work before deciding to move on to Paramedic, might I suggest that you don't let yourself fall into the same trap that plagues a lot of us......we have every intention of getting a better education and moving 'up the ranks', but because we work so many hours, or whatever other reason, we find that we just don't make it back to school. Another 'drawback' of putting a lot of time in the field before moving up to Paramedic is that we increase the length of time to develop bad habits based on minimal education.

Furthermore, if you are serious about EMS and decide to pursue a career in EMS, I'd recommend getting your Associates Degree, simply because of the requirements for your degree. I have to take two additional Anatomy and Physiology courses as well as what they teach in 'the book'. Please, please, please, stay away from the 'patch mill schools'! Most are only geared to teaching you what you need to pass the test. 'Assembly line education' isn't always condusive to retention and understanding! You owe it to yourself and to your patients to get as much education as possible!

I think by now, you already know that we're going to be dealing with people who are sick, broken and bloody. If you know you've already got an aversion to this, then EMS might not be your 'cup of tea'. I've had too many new partners who were clueless as to what we face in the field, and they promptly left the field because they couldn't deal with what we face on a regular basis.

To your point about age-

There is certainly something to be said for having a little "snow on the roof". LOL Yes, the patient or family will generally assume you have been around the block if you have a few grey hairs, and unless you act like a rookie, they will never know. I think an older provider makes people assume you've been doing this awhile, and this is usually the case. Bottom line-your demeanor, professionalism, attitude, and how you preform your duties are what instills confidence in a patient. Often times simply taking control and being calm in the midst of chaos is the single most important attribute we can have, and puts the patient, the family, and any bystanders at ease. With age comes life experience, and often times this alone is enough to convey an image of authority and a feeling that whatever is going wrong, you can handle it. In this respect, I think a new provider who happens to have more birthdays than most has an advantage over someone who is younger.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.