FBAO Intubation

I do have a surgical airway option, however, I would push the obstruction into the bronchi with the tube before I attempt a crike. This is under the general principal of doing the least risky procedures first and escalating if required. By the same token, there is not a lot of time to ponder these options. I would move through them as quickly as possible.

I don't really see how pushing an obstruction INTO the airway is the "least risky" procedure. This is assuming the tube can even reach the bronchus (which I really doubt it can), and that once there it is capable at all of moving a bolus in the correct manner (also doubtful). Also, performing this maneuver prior to attempting a surgical airway has the potential to make future attempts at a surgical airway ineffective (pushing the bolus distal to the membrane).

What's so risky about a surgical airway anyways? Remember, this patient HAS NO AIRWAY and is NOT BREATHING.... I understand what you are saying about not taking a lot of time to ponder these options, but I think this is a pretty tough situation that deserves well thought-out action and not a rushed decision.

Edited by fiznat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.