Hello!

Brownie

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about applying to become a military paramedic. I am very motivated and very interested, but the thing is that I'm not sure as to how am I going to react and deal with the sight trauma injuries. Can you maybe shed some light on this matter for me? How did you deal with these issues in the beginning?

Thank you so much, your reply means a lot.

Hello Brownie! Welcome to EMS City. I am fairly new to this site but I do have some insight on the aspect of EMS and the military. I am currently a military police officer and a volunteer EMT. If you are planning on being in the military and deploying to the current conflict areas i.e. Iraq, Afghanistan, there is a very big possibility of seeing trauma in the military while in garrison or deployed whether you are a medic or not. Its apart of the job. All soldiers before deployment go through something that is a parallel to a first responder course called combat life saver, which is what soldiers utilize when your fellow soldiers are wounded on the battle field. Although medics have more medical expertise and their scope of practice is broader, any soldier may have to deal with seeing things that are uncomfortable. But the mind set is not about the blood or the gore that is observed...but more of " how do I help this person to keep them alive?" Everyone has their own type of injury or observation that makes them feel uncomfortable but the more practice you have and the more exposure you get to that issue, the more likely you will act accordingly to accomplish the task at hand. Mind you, some things may be harder to cope with than others but in those cases, there are people out there that are willing to listen to your experience and help you deal with it and help you move on. Once again, welcome to the EMS City community and I hope that this is helpful to you.

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about applying to become a military paramedic. I am very motivated and very interested, but the thing is that I'm not sure as to how am I going to react and deal with the sight trauma injuries. Can you maybe shed some light on this matter for me? How did you deal with these issues in the beginning?

Thank you so much, your reply means a lot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.