Interview Question

So I'm interviewing with a big EMS department today for a dispatch position; I am an EMT-I but haven't been able to pass the physical test there to work as an EMT/Firefighter. (I hope to work my way towards passing in the next few months, meanwhile, get my foot in the door now.) I am very confidant; I know a of of the staff from my clinicals and testing.

What's strange is that last night, one of the medics from this company was shot in her home, and she's now in critical/stable condition. I don't know her personally, though I think it's absolutely terrible and I really am empathetic.

At my interview should I mention anything? Would it be tactful for me to ask how everyone is doing, or offer my empathy?

Or would they see this as being nosy or intrusive?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

So I'm interviewing with a big EMS department today for a dispatch position; I am an EMT-I but haven't been able to pass the physical test there to work as an EMT/Firefighter. (I hope to work my way towards passing in the next few months, meanwhile, get my foot in the door now.) I am very confidant; I know a of of the staff from my clinicals and testing.

What's strange is that last night, one of the medics from this company was shot in her home, and she's now in critical/stable condition. I don't know her personally, though I think it's absolutely terrible and I really am empathetic.

At my interview should I mention anything? Would it be tactful for me to ask how everyone is doing, or offer my empathy?

Or would they see this as being nosy or intrusive?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

I wouldn't mention anything. Don't see it as being helpful to you in anyway.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mention anything. Don't see it as being helpful to you in anyway.

Agreed. Unless it comes up in the interview somehow, respectful silence is best, otherwise you will likely come off as fake, brownosing, and invasive.

If it does come up in the interview somehow...dont know how it would....then the less said the better...respectfully of course.

• Like 1

I would have to echo the majority here.

While being sympathetic and empathetic are good qualities, mentioning the incident during the interview would serve no purpose.

I highly doubt that the topic will come up in the interview, and there's no reason to bring it up there.

After you get hired, it's possible that the incident will be mentioned. Then and only then would it appear to be appropriate to express sympathy and empathy.

Bringing it up in the interview might be viewed as if you're trying to capitalize on her misfortune.

LS

Is this by chance, the story you're referring to:

Southside Fire saves one of their own

By Christy Hutchings

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - Members of the Southside Fire Department found themselves trying to save one of their own when one lieutenant radioed in she had just be shot and needed help.

It happened at her home on Lester Avenue in Savannah around 10:30 p.m. Thursday night.

Southside Fire Assistant Chief Hugh Futrell explains, "we got a call over one of our radios, help I've been shot. We recognized the voice; it was our Lieutenant Pam Jackson."

Lieutenant Pam Jackson is a veteran firefighter and EMT. Futrell says "She's one of our gems."

He spoke with her briefly about what happened. "In talking with Pam it sounds like she heard something and got up. She was going to be bed, and the lights were off in the house. She was coming down the hall and shots rang out, so she surprised whoever it was," said Futrell.

Futrell says it looks like her door was kicked open, and that's the noise she heard. Fortunately Lieutenant Jackson was able to get to her radio. "She immediately grabbed her portable radio and called our headquarters and started saying she'd been shot, and she needed assistance," said Futrell. "We of course immediately responded and were there within a few minutes."

People living in the area couldn't believe what happened. "That's too close to home," said Diane Bracken. "You hear about this stuff in Garden City, Westside, Eastside, not really around here this type of neighborhood, so it's a little scary."

Lieutenant Jackson was taken to the hospital. She was shot in the face and arm and underwent minor surgery, but is expected to be fine. Chief Futrell says now the focus is on finding the person or persons responsible.

"If anyone has any tips out there, knows anybody, knows what happened, saw somebody please call CrimeStoppers. Lieutenant Jackson has been there to help other people now it's our chance to help her."

Southside Fire has raised $13,000 in reward money for anyone that has information that can lead to an arrest.

Copyright 2010 WTOC. All rights reserved.1

This is the same orgainization where I did my 'ride alongs' for both EMT-B and EMT-I. I don't know Lt. Jackson personally, but I've heard her name in conversations while I was on my clinical rotations.

1"Southside Fire saves one of their own." WTOC Evening News. Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS): WTOC 11, Savannah, 16 JUL 2010. Television.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.