CNA plus EMT

Hello

I've been certified as an EMT-B since March. I live in a pretty remote rural area, theres only one EMS company anywhere near me, and they arent hiring. I'm pretty much in an EMS dead zone as far as employment so I've just been volunteering as a first responder. I still want to go on in EMS, or at least the medical field, so I went and through a CNA course and got my CNA license for the state since my education opportunities are severely limited where I live. Just getting my EMT-B involved an hour and a half drive twice a week, and I lucked out finding a course that close.

There are a few hospitals within driving distance I'm hoping to find work in. I'm wondering if having the CNA in addition to being an EMT makes me any more employable as say an ER tech, or if its basically of little to no value. I've also considered looking for work elsewhere as an EMT, but it doesnt seem like EMT positions are easy to come by anywhere. Does also being a CNA matter at ALL when applying for my first EMT job?

On the flip side I'm curious if anyone would have any input on whether being an EMT would make me any more employable as a CNA in a hospital. I just applied for a CNA opening working a med surg unit in a hospital, I'm hoping being an EMT might help.

I could find work at a long term care facility or nursing home because of the CNA, but that is kind of my last resort as theres not much to learn as far as EMS or medicine in such a job.

Thanks in advance for any input or personal experiences posted.

Not sure where you live, but most hospitals that I am familiar with hire EMTs as techs.

I live in Michigan. One of the hospitals relatively close to me does have basics working as ER techs, but competition is fierce for those jobs. Thats why I was wondering if having my CNA might give me any advantage.

Thanks for the reply.

I live in Michigan. One of the hospitals relatively close to me does have basics working as ER techs, but competition is fierce for those jobs. Thats why I was wondering if having my CNA might give me any advantage.

Thanks for the reply.

Your CNA probably gives you a 5% advantage over the other EMT's vying for the position.

Going back to school for your medic or LPN or even RN would make you much more marketable.

There is no shame in flipping burgers at McDonalds while going to paramedic school. Even delivering pizza's is apt to pay more than an EMT if the jobs are so scarce.

Like dustdevil always says, "Go big or go home"

Get your medic or your lpn and then you have a leg up on those ER Tech wannabes.

Student loans for community college and nursing school are so easy to get. I had terrible credit I mean terrible my credit score was 450 and I got a 60K loan over 3 years to go to graduate school. So if I can do it so can you.

No offense but why stop at EMT-B?

Don't discount working in a long term care facility believing that you won't learn anything about medicine. Those people are often elderly, and not generally well. They have multiple medical problems, medications, and assorted other issues. They require special care, and you would learn a great deal about patients with special needs, communicating with dementia patients, and taking care of the age demographic of patient most often encountered on the ambulance. If you find the right facility, you may find a nurse or several nurses that are open to someone that wants to learn more about general patient care. In general, long term care facilities get a pretty bad rap, but there are a few that have some fantastic staff.

It's the same argument I hear from EMT's that don't want to do inter-facility transports because it's "boring." It's all what you make it. If you want to learn, this is your opportunity to start talking to patients about their medical problems, treatments, etc. You can start to correlate medications and diseases. Again, those people are often the sickest of the sick and have multiple needs and considerations. It's only boring if you make it boring.

To answer your original question, most ER's I know will give preference to a CNA that is an EMT. Some states do not even require CNA to work in an ER and your EMT would be sufficient.

I wish you all the luck in the world. I know what it's like to try to get an education and a job in an area that has little to know offerings within a 100 mile radius. The above was not to bash you, so please don't take it that way. I simply wanted you to consider that you actually might learn something from what would appear to be a boring job. I got to tell you, I've been a 911 paramedic for years, and there are a lot of times my job seems boring. EMS doesn't always equal excitement, but it does occasionally equal excrement. :lol: Good luck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.