Mt. SAC Paramedic Class #70

Hey there,

First post on the city.

Today was the first day of the pre-course for Mt. SAC's paramedic program #70. Was wondering if anyone else on here is trying to "make the cut" into the class? If so, what were your impressions of the first day?

Personally, I think it is going to be very challenging - but I got a very positive vibe from the instructor who I heard so many things about. Their standards of knowledge seem to be very high, but it is was expected.

Or are there any ex-Mt. SAC medic students or graduates with advice for someone new to the program?

Thanks,

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hows it going?

I was wondering if you could tell me how that class went? I am starting the program in 2 days and Im trying to get as much advice as possible. Anything would help. Thanks.

Hey! Welcome to the City! And congratulations on your decision to continue on to paramedic.

I'm afraid that I have no advice specific to that school, but in general? Relax, take a deep breath. Be careful to manage your time, get lots of rest when you can, and build study groups. Your groups, not the ones built by others if you can help it...you want to be able to kick the slackers/hangers on.

Good luck! Let us know how it's going, ok?

Dwayne

For the precourse, if you are behind, 1st: catch up by memorizing all of the Signs and Symptoms in Williams' EMT-Book (it is way more in depth than you are probably used to), 2nd memorize all of the terms in the

handouts they gave you (start at the beginning of each of these sources), 3rd have the Anatomy and Physiology book read completely (memorize all of the bold terms).

I didn't believe the truth of these suggestions until I almost failed out (with a Bachelor’s degree and some post-secondary college credits); then I realized there are no shortcuts to the precourse nor to the program in general. If you are a self-starter (can teach yourself)-attend this program; If you need someone to hold your hand through all of the material-attend another program. I am not trying to come off terse - this is the reality. Many people start off okay, then question the seriousness of the workload ("this is way too much work for anyone to get done"..." there must be a shortcut, like every other class I have taken... "). Usually out of frustration, they cut corners and never make it through the precourse, or have to try several times just to pass the precourse's several fill-in the blank quizes and epic final exam. Intelligence alone will not be enough to get you through this program.

If you put in the work, your mental stamina (studying, reading, memorization...etc,) will increase to where 8 - 12 hours of studying on a Saturday and Sunday are almost a breeze. If you do not put in the work, you will not succeed...no chance, no way, no how...

It is a great school, worth all of the sacrific.

Good Luck!

• 3 months later...

For the precourse, if you are behind, 1st: catch up by memorizing all of the Signs and Symptoms in Williams' EMT-Book (it is way more in depth than you are probably used to), 2nd memorize all of the terms in the

handouts they gave you (start at the beginning of each of these sources), 3rd have the Anatomy and Physiology book read completely (memorize all of the bold terms).

When you say the Williams' EMT-Book are you talking about the Mt. SAC EMT curriculum that comes in the big binder that you have to buy at the bookstore there?

I'm about to start the pre-course soon and I'm definitely feeling a bit nervous. I've got a bachelors in biology so I've taken some pretty heavy course loads but I still have quite a bit of anxiety about this program.