Morale Droppers

Hi everyone. I'm new on here, and just wanted to get some different opinions on a few things.

I'm a volunteer for our large and very rural (meaning sparsely populated) county. We've got a few full time EMTs, but the majority of our service is comprised of volunteers.

I'm originally from a very big city where the emergency services are run on pride and teamwork....and I'm learning the services in small town America aren't run the same way.

It's not the easiest to be an "outsider" here trying to find a full time job that you'd love to do. I've seen with EMS here that I would love to be able to do it full time. Problem is there isn't the funding here for any more full time staff....and there are a few full timers here that complain constantly about the job, and are so negative they've made it clear they hate their job, and hate our director (who is a wonderful, fair person by the way.)

The negative ones pick and choose when/if they want to be on the schedule, and when they're on call, in between runs they make it known they're above the rest of us, and therefore will NOT do a damn thing. No truck checks, no washing/cleaning of anything, no restocking....nothing. When on a run, they will not do anything more than drive for the most part. That way, they don't have to do anything, and definitely don't have to write a report. And these negative people make a 12 hour shift seem like 36 hours of straight running.

I am not embellishing any of this. My frustrations are felt by others on our service, but the powers-that-be (the people who could actually do something about all this) turn a blind eye to the facts because they don't want to make waves. Waves of change.

I am in the midst of another class to raise my certification level, and I'm really starting to regret that decision. Any education is a good thing, this I know. But I'm getting burned out of doing something I love, and its not due to the actual job itself. Its the negativity that's around. I've got the ability to put any personal bs aside in the workplace. I can and will work with anyone. There are 3-4 other volunteers that I absolutely LOVE to work with, because those people have a true sense of what it's like to work as a team. But, when faced with being on the schedule with one of the negative few, my stomach starts to churn and ache. Everything they say is negative, and I am not a person who likes to be around people who want to suck the very life out of you.

Now I'm presented with this dilemma. I will be testing out in June. I've got a wonderfully awesome director/boss behind me with EMS here. But I've absolutely had it with the negative people taking full advantage of a full time paycheck and benefits here. I've had it with them, especially when they say to me (and its not just me, they do this to as many people as they can) "You will be the one doing everything, because that's just how it is." NO!! That's not how it is!! That's not how it should be!! EMS, or any emergency service (fire, rescue, police, etc.) CANNOT work if their people don't work as a team towards a common goal. And the powers-that-be, the people who have all the authority and reasons in front of them to make a change, just won't do it. Its going to end up costing the people of our county....and thats just not acceptable to me. Nor is being cast in a bad light due to the negative words and actions of the negative full timers and volunteers. I'm learning in small town America, words travel faster than light. And when word is getting out, broadcast all over the county about what so and so said about their job....sounds like time for a massive change.

My questions are these.

Are my feelings/emotions about all this valid? Granted, I know I didn't go into much detail here (it would end up being a super long post.) If you'd like any details, just let me know. I will not disclose names, what service I work for, what state I live in or any of that, but I will explain certain things a little more in depth. Yes, I've gone to everyone I could go to with my thoughts. I've stood up at monthly meetings and voiced my opinions. And I've done all that with others at my side, showing that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Its all fallen on deaf ears.

What should my next step be? I love EMS. I don't do it for the money, but getting full time pay would be a huge bonus. I'm burned out on the negative people I run with. Do I cut ties and walk away? I don't want to walk away from something that I love.

Has anyone else gone through things like this, or have the same frustrations? Any words of advice? Thanks in advance.

My advice is get out of that situation if you can. Those people will suck the life out of you, as you probably will not be able to change the atmosphere there. You love caring for people, so find another place you can work without being sucked into slime.

In the mean time, make the best of what sounds like a terrible situation. It might be easier to deal with if you have an exit plan, as that plan will give you something better to look forward to.

Thanks for that advice. I've been thinking that's about the only solution at this point for a while now, but its just so hard to walk away from something I love to do. Another reason I think its so hard is because I can see how great all the public service agencies in our county could be if they'd just cut the crap (I work for more than one here) but these people just let their childish, petty ways rule their lives....and let it all carry over to work. The people that are going to suffer the most are the people of our county, and that's a hard pill for me to swallow. I came from a really big city, and I guess I had a big misconception about small towns. Its such a hard decision to make. I cut down my availability for next month, and I think I'll do the same thing for the month of June....just keep cutting it down and give my mind a break. When you're on a 12 hour shift with someone negative, and don't have any runs that shift to break up the day, by the time I get home I truly feel as if I've been running non-stop on major calls for 3 days straight....that's just no way to be.

Sounds like after you finish your schooling, it's time to go. Trying to change an established culture- especially when many are volunteers, so you cannot hold their jobs over their heads- is an all but impossible task. It's also a tough sell for someone new to a company.

I agree that the negativity WILL eventually affect you in some way. You will internalize the stress you are under, you will change your attitude, and you will not be happy. If you let it, your unhappiness may even end up souring you in the business.

Sorry to say, but it's probably time to look elsewhere, and in the mean time, use that thought to keep your sanity.

Hi everyone. I'm new on here, and just wanted to get some different opinions on a few things.

I'm a volunteer for our large and very rural (meaning sparsely populated) county. We've got a few full time EMTs, but the majority of our service is comprised of volunteers.

I'm originally from a very big city where the emergency services are run on pride and teamwork....and I'm learning the services in small town America aren't run the same way.

It's not the easiest to be an "outsider" here trying to find a full time job that you'd love to do. I've seen with EMS here that I would love to be able to do it full time. Problem is there isn't the funding here for any more full time staff....and there are a few full timers here that complain constantly about the job, and are so negative they've made it clear they hate their job, and hate our director (who is a wonderful, fair person by the way.)

The negative ones pick and choose when/if they want to be on the schedule, and when they're on call, in between runs they make it known they're above the rest of us, and therefore will NOT do a damn thing. No truck checks, no washing/cleaning of anything, no restocking....nothing. When on a run, they will not do anything more than drive for the most part. That way, they don't have to do anything, and definitely don't have to write a report. And these negative people make a 12 hour shift seem like 36 hours of straight running.

I am not embellishing any of this. My frustrations are felt by others on our service, but the powers-that-be (the people who could actually do something about all this) turn a blind eye to the facts because they don't want to make waves. Waves of change.

I am in the midst of another class to raise my certification level, and I'm really starting to regret that decision. Any education is a good thing, this I know. But I'm getting burned out of doing something I love, and its not due to the actual job itself. Its the negativity that's around. I've got the ability to put any personal bs aside in the workplace. I can and will work with anyone. There are 3-4 other volunteers that I absolutely LOVE to work with, because those people have a true sense of what it's like to work as a team. But, when faced with being on the schedule with one of the negative few, my stomach starts to churn and ache. Everything they say is negative, and I am not a person who likes to be around people who want to suck the very life out of you.

Now I'm presented with this dilemma. I will be testing out in June. I've got a wonderfully awesome director/boss behind me with EMS here. But I've absolutely had it with the negative people taking full advantage of a full time paycheck and benefits here. I've had it with them, especially when they say to me (and its not just me, they do this to as many people as they can) "You will be the one doing everything, because that's just how it is." NO!! That's not how it is!! That's not how it should be!! EMS, or any emergency service (fire, rescue, police, etc.) CANNOT work if their people don't work as a team towards a common goal. And the powers-that-be, the people who have all the authority and reasons in front of them to make a change, just won't do it. Its going to end up costing the people of our county....and thats just not acceptable to me. Nor is being cast in a bad light due to the negative words and actions of the negative full timers and volunteers. I'm learning in small town America, words travel faster than light. And when word is getting out, broadcast all over the county about what so and so said about their job....sounds like time for a massive change.

My questions are these.

Are my feelings/emotions about all this valid? Granted, I know I didn't go into much detail here (it would end up being a super long post.) If you'd like any details, just let me know. I will not disclose names, what service I work for, what state I live in or any of that, but I will explain certain things a little more in depth. Yes, I've gone to everyone I could go to with my thoughts. I've stood up at monthly meetings and voiced my opinions. And I've done all that with others at my side, showing that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Its all fallen on deaf ears.

What should my next step be? I love EMS. I don't do it for the money, but getting full time pay would be a huge bonus. I'm burned out on the negative people I run with. Do I cut ties and walk away? I don't want to walk away from something that I love.

Has anyone else gone through things like this, or have the same frustrations? Any words of advice? Thanks in advance.

You cannot and will not change a negative, nasty department. If you can't bend yourself to shape to the status quo, you will be ABSOLUTELY miserable. Find a department that is worth working for and don't look back!! Get your good director to write you a letter of recommendation, and move onwards and upwards. It's not worth the fight. It really isn't.

Good luck to you!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

First they only want to drive? Wow, suxs to be them, put me in the back and never let me drive and I would be the happiest guy in the department. I'm sorry if the people you work with are such smucks but the only way they can get to you is if you let them. As for your director I recognize you respect him but if people like this are in the agency he is not doing his job either. I disagree that the agency can't change as others have posted. It can change but it won't be easy and will ruffle a few feathers. I would rather get fired for doing the right thing then leave on my own without trying to fix the problem.

First they only want to drive? Wow, suxs to be them, put me in the back and never let me drive and I would be the happiest guy in the department. I'm sorry if the people you work with are such smucks but the only way they can get to you is if you let them. As for your director I recognize you respect him but if people like this are in the agency he is not doing his job either. I disagree that the agency can't change as others have posted. It can change but it won't be easy and will ruffle a few feathers. I would rather get fired for doing the right thing then leave on my own without trying to fix the problem.

It's naive to think you will change an established culture- especially if you are new. In order to effect change you need either an actual position of authority or at least be an unofficial leader. It seems that she is neither. I agree with you that the director is not doing their job if they he/she allows attitudes like this to exist. This is the person who should be either setting an example or leading the change within their organization.

You can be an example of what a good EMS professional is while you work there, but as soon as you can, GET OUT. As others have said, the culture ther is one that will be too hard to change, especially for one person. When you get a group of people who are determined to be miserable for the sake of being miserable, you cannot change that mindset. Eventually, that service will have to do a major housecleaning to change the culture there.

Take the education you are getting there on the kind of EMS professional you DON'T want to be, and remember that throughout your career. It is very sad that those individuals have completely lost sight of why they are in EMS. They are not just harming themselves by not continuing to maintain their competencies, but they are harming the department through their attitude and poor example they set, and most importantly, they are harmful to the patient. It is probably a good thing that they only want to drive, as they probably haven't maintained their skills. Would you want a doctor who hasn't done any upgrading or maintenance of skills in the last 10, 15, or 20 years work on you or your family member? These members are no different. Through their own bad attitudes, they are cheating patients out of quality care.

I have been in EMS for almost 14 years, and volly in a very very rural area (1 ambulance for 2100 sq.mi, and a population of about 1500), and I also work paid in an urban centre (city of about 60,000). The volly service I work for has exactly the same problem. I know that some paid services have this problem as well, but it is easier to deal with in a paid service: "these are your duties, you are not meeting the duties outlined in your job description, so there's the door, and don't let it hit you on the way out." On our volly crew, we have trouble getting new members because people in our community do not want to work with 2 individuals who are exactly like you described. They only want to drive, they don't maintain their skills, and they are negative about the work and the patients 24/7. I am now the team leader of that crew, and we have been amalgamated into the regional service where I work paid. I am working with regional management to build criteria for the volunteer services in our region, to meet standards of annual training and proving of skills. It is my hope that if we apply enough pressure on these negative members to get back up to par on education and skills, they will decide to leave. I have new members who are very excited to be there, very willing to learn, and who are all looking to further their education. I don't want them to be tainted with the negativity that these two chronically spew. I would rather see a newbie who is willing, volly for experience, continue their education, and move on to a paid service, than have vollies who have been here forever, and who are so incredibly negative that they impact the rest of the department, and eventually impact patient care.

Negativity is contageous. Be very careful that you don't get infected.

• Like 1

Negativity is contageous. Be very careful that you don't get infected.

That's a wise statement. Here's it said another way:

"A little leaven leavens the whole lump" (1 Corinthians 5:6)

I can't count the number of times I foolishly associated with evil people and then, after a time, began acting in evil ways too.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.