My Weekend Rotation w/ Plane Crash

uglyEMT

Had a busy weekend this go around. From the eye and face trauma from a garage door spring to the plane crash to the 3am MVA. Oh yea did I mention the plane crash!?!

From Fox News:

WEST MILFORD, N.J. -- One man was killed and another seriously injured when a small plane crashed Saturday in northern New Jersey.

The two were the only people aboard the Cessna 172, a four-seat, fixed-wing propeller plane, said Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Holly Baker.

The single-engine plane went down around noon and ended up near a residential, wooded area in the Passaic County community of West Milford. One man was pronounced dead there a short time later, while the other was flown via helicopter to a nearby trauma center.

Their names were not disclosed, pending notification of relatives.

It was not clear what caused the crash, which occurred near the Greenwood Lake Airport in West Milford. Authorities did not immediately know if the plane had taken off from the airport or was trying to land at the site.

UGL was on standby for this one! Yea couldn't beleive this call when the tones went out. We were doing rig check and washing the other rig and we all did a double take and wondered if it was true. We found out later the plane was just purchased and flown down from Ithica, NY to pick up a friend (guy who survived) for a quick joy ride. The plane did take off from the local airport as witnessed by local LEO. Wish I was part of the rescue and not just a stand-by rig but was nice being part of the experience. The rest of the shift was pretty crazy as well. Psych call, OD, Stroke, MVA w/ extracation, eye and face truma. For a squad that sees around 300 calls a year this was a very busy weekend for us. Glad I was able to swing dinner with the family in between calls on Easter.

Edited by UGLyEMT

Had a busy weekend this go around. From the eye and face trauma from a garage door spring...

Those can be really nasty! They scare the heck out of me.

After responding to literally dozens of aircraft incidents over the years, including probably major 15 airliner crashes, they still fascinate me. There's a lot to be learned from each one, both medically and otherwise.

You guys pretty rural out there, or what?

Yes Dustdevil very rural out here. Mostly state forests and lakes. Town has one traffic light LOL and we celebrate its erection with a festival every autum. Kind of a town where the wildlife outnumbers the residents. Our response time to the "local" area hospital is 45min, Trauma center is 1hr 15mn, nearest burn center is alomst 2hrs. Needless to say alot of calls get ALS support. Unstable traumas get medivaced usually. Stable ones get a nice long ride. We have probably one of the longest patient care times around our area. Get alot of practice in vitals and ongoing assessment.

The plane crash was my first so I was super facinated. Wish I was part of the rescue and not just stand-by but was nice being part of the expeiernce though.

The garage door spring was a bad one, no doubt. People should leave that stuff to the professionals. At least we were able to save the patient's eye and sight the rest is up to the plastic surgeons.