Paging respiratory

I had my Spring CME Session today (we have four days per year, plus self-study requirements) and as part of it we were introduced to our new CPAP equipment and protocol. The coverage was decent and I'm comfortable enough with the equipment to use it, but that's only a beginning and I wanted to pick the brains of our RT and Critical Care folks around here.

I was hoping you guys would send my way, or direct me to, some good resources to deepen my understanding. I'd also be interested in any tips, tricks, quirks or problems you may have had with CPAP in general, and the Boussignac CPAP specifically. The equipment hits the trucks in May (once everyone has completed their CME) so I have some time to study before the pressure's on.

Plus with my white cloud, if I don't study now, the thing will sit unused for months in the truck and I'll forget about it.

So far my only real concerns with it is the relatively low fiO2 of the boussignac which can't be increased and the top end limit of 10cmH20 of pressure. Or are these really a big deal?

- Matt

Vitaid website

Edited by docharris

The Boussignac should give the patient a fairly high FiO2 since it doesn't dilute with a venturi. However, if you want 10 cmH2O of CPAP, that will be 25 liters of flow off your tank. Thst means less than 15 minutes on a D tank and not much more with an E.

The Boussignac should give the patient a fairly high FiO2 since it doesn't dilute with a venturi.

We were told ~FIO2 of 35%. How likely is it that I may have a patient needed CPAP who would also benefit from a higher FIO2?

However, if you want 10 cmH2O of CPAP, that will be 25 liters of flow off your tank.

It wasn't clear in CME how we'd determine amount of CPAP other than starting at 5 cmH2O and essentially titrating for effect. Any better indicators for amount of CPAP likely required?

That means less than 15 minutes on a D tank and not much more with an E.

They're going to be retrofitting our on truck regulators so that we can draw 25 lpm off the M. But ya, in the meantime we're expecting to kill D tanks like crazy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.