MA-1 DMAT

matt c

HEY GUYS , i was wondering if anybody knows anything about the MA1 D MAT team(in Boston) i would love to get onto that team, but my emails have gone unanswered. from what i hear, in this area it is pretty hard to get on. i have also heard that they are always looking for paramedic, so i don't know what to believe. any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! - matt

What I found on a Google search was the following, from DMAT, linked to MA1, under requirements:

http://www.ma1dmat.org/join/requirements/

MA-1sml.gif

MA-1 DMAT

Metro-Boston Disaster Medical Assistance Team

1. Complete the Federal application and credentialing process
  2. Complete ICS 100a, 200a, 700, and 800b
  3. Pass a Federal suitability and background check including FBI fingerprint check
  4. Comply with medical credentialing requirements
  5. Maintain a current, unrestricted license, certification, or registration in the appropriate specialty you practice in, and/or position you hold on MA-1 DMAT
  6. Maintain all necessary immunizations
  7. Complete an OSHA respirator medical evaluation questionnaire
  8. Maintain a current and unrestricted driver’s license and US tourist passport
  9. Perform the duties and responsibilities of your respective position in an austere (field) environment
  10. Notify your primary employer and immediate supervisor of participation on MA-1 DMAT
  11. Attend at least one (1) team-training weekend per year
  12. Attend team-logistics work sessions
  13. Conduct yourself in accordance with the ethical principals of your respective profession(s), and with courtesy and respect towards patients, colleagues, and any groups or persons who interact with the organization
  14. Maintain communication ability with the team via email and text messaging either by pager or cell phone
  15. Maintain regular communication with your Command Staff and Branch Leader
  16. Meet the following physical functional standards and guidelines:
    1. You should be physically and mentally able to safely perform the usual acts of daily living without requiring the direct assistance of another or elaborate mechanical devices.
      • Must possess sight/hearing senses, with or without prosthetics use, which will enable these senses to function adequately.
      • Must be able to negotiate level or uneven surfaces with or without the use of assisting devices.

[*]Must be capable of independently traveling safely to and from a duty station by private or public transportation.[*]Must be capable of traveling on official business without assistance using public transportation.[*]You should not be severely limited in musculoskeletal mobility or exercise tolerance regardless of the physical requirements of the projected assignment. Ordinary physical activity should not cause undue fatigue, shortness of breath, pronounced muscular weakness, or pain, which is severe or ominous.[*]

• Must possess the ability to lift, push, pull, or move equipment, supplies, etc., in excess of fifty (50) pounds, with or without the use of adaptive devices.
Must not require medication or medical devices to be able to perform your duties unless the following criteria are substantially met:
  • After an adequate period of observation, medication or device adequately controls the underlying medical problem.
  • You have demonstrated and continue to demonstrate responsibility in taking the medication or maintaining the device, if applicable.
  • Frequent medical attention requiring limitation in geographical assignments is not necessary.
  • The duties of your category and specialty are not such that failure to take the medication or failure of the mechanical device would likely have effects, which would occur without adequate warning and could endanger the lives of co-workers or the public.

[*]For all pregnancies, a current evaluation from a physician stating expected date of delivery, no previous history of complicated pregnancies, and no complications to date will be required. In addition, a statement from the physician that there is no restriction in the types of duties or geographic location of the assignment is also required.[*]You must be capable of being assigned or reassigned as necessary to meet the needs of NDMS. You must not have an acute, progressive, or recurrent disease or disability which will or may require frequent or prolonged periods of absence from duties, or which substantially restrict the types of duties you may be assigned or the geographic location of your assignment. This applies even though you may be functional at the time the determination is made. Such illnesses include malignancies, progressive neurological or muscular disease, certain psychiatric or endocrine conditions, etc.

© 2010 MA-1 DMAT Webmaster

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with PA-1 DMAT and MA-1 was in Haiti when we were. I don't know specifics about MA-1 recruiting but we only recently have started accepting applications from EMT's and Paramedics mostly for logistics and communications slots. The good thing about DMAT is you are a federal employee but the bad thing is you work for the federal government. Just a joke. I've been on two deployments with DMAT and have found them interesting and challenging. Haiti was an experience that nobody can understand unless you were there.

Good luck.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.