Question about reciprocity

JeffM1980

Is it problematic to have an EMS license in more than one state at a time?

I am a Nationally Registered EMT Intermediate with a license to practice in Georgia. I live very near the South Carolina border and would like the option of working there if I so chose. My national registry certification is sufficient for reciprocity under SC's guidelines...i just want to make sure I'm not going to mess with my Georgia license by getting reciprocity.

Thanks for any help.

Is it problematic to have an EMS license in more than one state at a time?

I am a Nationally Registered EMT Intermediate with a license to practice in Georgia. I live very near the South Carolina border and would like the option of working there if I so chose. My national registry certification is sufficient for reciprocity under SC's guidelines...i just want to make sure I'm not going to mess with my Georgia license by getting reciprocity.

Thanks for any help.

No it is not an issue to have licenses in multiple states. This isn't like a driver's license where you have to turn one in to get another.

No it is not an issue to have licenses in multiple states. This isn't like a driver's license where you have to turn one in to get another.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it would be an issue but no one I've asked before has known the answer. I just wanted confirmation. You tha man.

Agree... no one really cares. In fact, if you live on a state border, some companies will run dual state licensed ambulances and require their providers to have two licenses.

The only 'problem' you might run into is if SC requires I99 for their EMT-I's.

Having just gotten my EMT-I in GA, I know that I'm only educated in the practices of the I85 cirricula.

I've thought about 'crossing the border' into SC as well, but that will have to wait until I'm healed up and got wheels under my butt again...

What neck of the GA woods are you in?

LS

• Like 1

Best advise is not take advise from forum idiots. Check with each state office and even ask to see the answer in writing. In other words no the rules, regulations and laws that affect EMS. I doubt there would be a problem but some states have some stupid regulations.

That was my reply to the exact same question you asked in another post. When you ask a question be patient rather than asking it multiple times.

• Like 1

Page 4 deals with reciprocity for EMT-I in South Carolina:

http://www.scdhec.gov/health/ems/ReciprocityGuidelines.pdf

EMT Intermediate - (Advanced Emergency Medical Technician)

1. Complete the Reciprocity Application found on page 11. (Please print clearly - or type)

2. Include with that application a copy of your current EMT credential (current National Registry Credential or a current EMT certification from another US state* or territory) at the level of certification you are requesting. Your state or NR credential must indicate that you are certified or licensed as an Intermediate. (Intermediate 85, Intermediate 99, or Advanced Emergency Medical Technician is acceptable).

*For individuals who are not Nationally Registered, please complete the “Out-of-State Verification” form on page 10. Mail that form to the state or territory EMS office who credentialed you. They will complete this form and they will mail or fax this form back to SC.

3. Include with that application a copy of your current CPR credential. A copy of the card is required. Currently, South Carolina only accepts the following CPR (Provider or Instructor) credentials for the purpose of EMT certification:

- American Heart Association (AHA) BLS for the Healthcare Provider

- American Red Cross (ARC) CPR for the Professional Rescuer

- American Safety & Health Institute (ASHI) CPR Pro

After all requirements for EMT-Intermediate reciprocity have been satisfied, the individual will be sent a Certificate Application Card and must return this (green) card, properly completed and signed prior to receiving a SC EMT certification. For those individuals who are not Nationally Registered, see Provisional Certification on page 02.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.