first interview

bmilner

so i have been called in for my first interview since receiving my license a couple weeks ago. I have been doing a ton of research on first interviews and its scarce on information on what i can expect. I will be receiving situational questions along with followups. can anyone give me some help on what type of questions i can expect? also i will be in pro attire. what should i talk about when asked "about me" questions. what kind of questions should i have ready to ask them? I also have a goatee. it is extremely short and well kept. Without it i look absolutely rediculous. what should i do about this? will it effect me? any and all help would be greatly appreciated. this company is 1 of 2 in the valley where i live and they are the largest. so i need to nail this interview so i can land the job. thanks you guys. looking forward to the responses

First, make sure you dress appropriately - don't go in ripped jeans and old tshirt - dress professionally - do you know anyone at that service? Maybe you can ask them what is expected.

Then, make sure you have extra copies of your resume - if there are more than one person interviewing you, then you can provide them with copies if their human resources department hasn't.

As for questions, expect some of the following:

"So, tell me about yourself.."

- plan an answer that isn't 15 minutes long - just a quick overview of who you are, why you got into EMS, why you want this job.

"Tell me/us about a time that you worked with a group of people on a project, and team members weren't getting along. What did you do to solve the problem.."

"Tell me/us about a time when you worked on a project where you were the leader of the team and there were problems; how did you handle it.."

"Tell me about a situation where you went over and above what was expected of you, and why you did what you did.."

"Tell me about a situation where even though you did everything you could, the situation still didn't turn out as planned; how did you handle it.."

Those are some of the types of questions you can expect.

Good luck - don't be too scared - take a deep breath...

Annie

haha, yes my father used to preach that to me all the time! thank you! so does anyone have any idea the type of situational questions and followup questions i might face? thank you annie and emtsenior for the replys! alot of helpful information!

ok so i had my interview and it went great..i was passed onto the next step. I have already completed my drug test, background check and physical. u think i got the job? i duno how many people they sent through to get all that done and how many they are hireing

Without knowing any details about the service you are applying for, the only thing anyone here can do is guess. But with that in mind, drug tests are not cheap as long as it is not a saliva test and if the company has made the investment of a drug test and a background check, you should be good as long as both of those come back clean. Congrats, good luck and enjoy the ride. biggrin.gif

Edited by MS Medic