Rural Metro Loses Atlanta Contract ?

crotchitymedic1986

That is more towards the managment, but yes it is happening. But what do you expect when your manager is in over his head. Watch the following video and watch the body language of our boss when asked if they are going to pull out of the zone. You can tell what a liar he is when you just watch him go spastic when he lies to the reporter:

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/22536651/detail.html

Alot of the employees are dumb enough to drink the kool-aid and believe what the liar is telling them, which is that they are fine until September and that no ones job is in jeopardy, but us old-timers have seen this bs before. We all know that a pull-out is occuring in the next 2-3 weeks, and that most of the southside EMTs, and probably most of the dispatchers, are about to lose their job.

Thanks for the advice, but that really isnt practical in GA. The problem is that RM was the highest payer in the State. All of the municipal departments in Atl pay far less, and are currently under a hiring freeze or using furlough days to cut salaries/budget even farther. On top of that, the muni's do not pay for experience, everyone starts at the same low wage. With that being said, we all realize that a low-paying job with a muni is probably better than the private alternatives that exist. Of course the main rumor about who will take over would be great for us, as both companies pay pretty well, but the other possibility that is probably more realistic is that the zones will be divided up by the fly-by-night privates who will do it for no subsidy at all. There is a company out of Macon that is notorious for taking over 911 zones for no subsidy, then coming back to the politicians a year later (after being awarded the zone) to beg for money or pull out. Once you leave the Atlanta area, most people in our industry are working for just a little more than minimum wage. I imagine some of us will move to another state, but it is difficult to abandon your family.

Some more friendly advice - I understand that moving isn't an option. I would recommend applying to muni depts, and in the meantime getting picked up by whoever takes over the territory. I would strongly recommend going muni regardless if Rural Metro stays. In either case, you can work for the initially low paying muni dept, and pad your income by staying per diem or PT at your old employer.

Many are shortsighted in that they look only at what a job is paying hourly, and maybe medical benefits. The pay may be decent, you'll pay off your mortgage, afford food, clothes, a car and such, but what about retirement? The example I gave of the 20 y/o putting 10k into deferred comp is a best case scenario. Many in their 30's and 40's don't have much in deferred comp, maybe 10k, 50k, or 100k. That won't get you far in retirement. You referred to yourself as seasoned, so I'm assuming that you're also in your 30's to 40's, and don't already have a quater mil in deferred comp. At this point, only a pension will give you an at least somewhat decent standard of living in retirement. Otherwise, you'll need to work FT into your 80's, if your health allows you.

Muni depts may start at a low salary, and here's why, If an employee is going to leave the dept, using them as a stepping stone or whatever, it will usually be in the first few years. No sense paying someone top dollar when they're going to leave. Keeping the entry salary lower also allows the dept to compensate their tenured employees more generously. It's all about paying your dues. It's more appropriate for a young person to start at a low wage, but time is running out for you, and so is your opportunity to have a decent retirement.

Some more friendly advice - I understand that moving isn't an option. I would recommend applying to muni depts, and in the meantime getting picked up by whoever takes over the territory. I would strongly recommend going muni regardless if Rural Metro stays. In either case, you can work for the initially low paying muni dept, and pad your income by staying per diem or PT at your old employer.

Many are shortsighted in that they look only at what a job is paying hourly, and maybe medical benefits. The pay may be decent, you'll pay off your mortgage, afford food, clothes, a car and such, but what about retirement? The example I gave of the 20 y/o putting 10k into deferred comp is a best case scenario. Many in their 30's and 40's don't have much in deferred comp, maybe 10k, 50k, or 100k. That won't get you far in retirement. You referred to yourself as an old timer, so I'm assuming that you're also in your 30's to 40's or more, and don't already have a quater mil in deferred comp. At this point, only a pension will give you an at least somewhat decent standard of living in retirement. Otherwise, you'll need to work FT into your 80's, if your health allows you.

Muni depts may start at a low salary, and here's why, If an employee is going to leave the dept, using them as a stepping stone or whatever, it will usually be in the first few years. No sense paying someone top dollar when they're going to leave. Keeping the entry salary lower also allows the dept to compensate their tenured employees more generously. It's all about paying your dues. It's more appropriate for a young person to start at a low wage, but time is running out for you, and so is your opportunity to have a decent retirement.

• Like 1

We lost our lead dispatcher (the only one who can do IT for the company also) and one of our field supervisors (the one who had all the connections with the local fire departments) yesterday; we lost both to the company that is rumored to be taking over the North Zone.  Whats left of our management team are stabbing each other in the back to try to save their jobs. Why do I feel like the band that is still playing on the deck of the Titanic as the ship goes down ?

Edited by ruralghettoemtatlanta

Well it gets better: the new rumor is that our boss has pulled one out of his a**, and we are taking over Dekalb County EMS (east Atlanta). The bid proposal doesnt come out next week, but it is rumored that we just signed a lease on a warehouse type station in Decatur, so it seems true. Whats weird is that the demographics/payor mix in Dekalb isn't much better than Fulton, so not sure how we can make a profit there unless the county is going to subsidize us. Are there any Dekalb employees on here that are hearing anything ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.