Poor documentation equals lost job

toutdoors

Would anyone be able to guide me into a direction in which I might be able to find some information regarding how poor pt documentation has resulted in termination of an EMT/Paramedic?

I have been assigned Documentation as my instructional topic for my instructor class, and would like to include some case studies of how poor documentation has resulted in termination.

I remember Firehouse Magazine reporting a few years back about a Florida EMT or Paramedic that was terminated due to poor pt care reports.

Thanks, I appreciate any input on the subject.

I suggest you contact a lawyer familiar with prehospital litigation. Also, if you have access to it, Lexus Nexus is a good resource for pertinent case law. I would also suggest you contact anyone who has had experience in testifying either as a witness, a defendant in a case, or simply giving a deposition. They could clearly tell you the pitfalls, traps, do's and don'ts of how to properly document a patient encounter.

If you are focusing on someone who has lost their job over a poor report, I suggest you expand your search into the areas of negligence, standards of care, scope of practice, and malpractice.

I seriously doubt that you will find to many "internet accessible" proof of firings for poor documentation. For one, personnel issues should be private, so you will not find the reasons for most people's terminations on the internet, unless they did something incredibly stupid (and poor documentation usually does not rise to that level). Two: Most departments have a progressive disciplinary process which means that for something like "poor documentation" the offender will be given the chance to improve, and most will improve before the point of termination. You might be better off talking with medics in your area to see if they will share some anecdotal stories of how poor documentation almost or did negatively affect them (in trouble with supervisor, sued, patient later died).

Thanks for the input folks. Basically what I am looking for is general information. As I stated, I remember reading a short news brief in a trade magazine, I believe it was Fire House, in which a paramedic was terminated due to poor patient reports. I am looking for a few articles such as this simply to use as examples as to the consequences of poor documentation for a presentation I am tasked with.

Once again, appreciate any input.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.