PPV

Might be a tautology, the American's use the phrase "secure the airway" rather liberally from what I've heard.

Ah yes I see now that it was "secure the airway". I read it as "secure the airway adjunct" for some reason (I was imaging tying some tape around an OPA to hold it in place). I'm still curious by what exactly medichopeful meant by "secure the airway" though.

Ah yes I see now that it was "secure the airway". I read it as "secure the airway adjunct" for some reason (I was imaging tying some tape around an OPA to hold it in place). I'm still curious by what exactly medichopeful meant by "secure the airway" though.

I would read into that as "make the airway as secure as we can" which at his level would be an OPA/NPA

You weren't taught to tape the OPA/NPA down? What are they teaching you there?! wtf.gif I kidd. tongue.gif

Must just be a different phrase than what you're used to. By "secure the airway," I mean (basically) make sure that it is clear and that air will get in. Does that clarify it?

I would read into that as "make the airway as secure as we can" which at his level would be an OPA/NPA

Exactly what I mean

I have seen a few NPAs and OPA secured by tape to where they obstruct the airway. The OPA is taped over to where the mouth is not visible. The NPA has tape around it constricting the airflow or over top of it to where, again, restricted air flow.

Securing an airway: one in which you are able to move air in and out of the lungs freely and that you feel you are effectively ventilating and oxygenating the patient.

I had used the word "comfortable" in earlier years but there have been patients that I am not always comfortable physically but do feel that I am providing ventilation and oxygenation. This can be with either the ETT or BVM with an OPA/NPA.

Edited by VentMedic

So Kiwi you must have been taking Stanley to altitude too frequently since he no longer has the memory of an elephant. Getting lost in the subway, tsk, tsk!

Have YOU tried navigating the NYC Subway system lately? In June/July its well over 100° down there but I wouldn't trade it for the world; I love the subway man its cheap entertainment for two bucks, I had this Indian guy on the .... A train I think from Fulton St convinced I was from Queens.

And you'd be suprised how easy it is fare-jump by slipping in behind a guy with a bike who uses the gate; not that I encourage such a thing of course, MTA Police and all. My toll chip from the Connecticut turnpike no longer works.

I've tried taking him out on the road but the problem is he has no turn signals and is awful big coz he weighs over 4,500kg so I'm not sure I can operate him coz I don't have a heavy vehicle license. I might have to just take him for a walk every now and again. Knowning Stanley he'll probably eat all the leaves on the trees as we walk along ....

RICHARD! See what you get me into here! :D

The ability to change pressure inside the thorax is also important; if Stanley my immaginary grey pet elephant sits on your chest you will have a very hard time creating a negative pressure gradient to draw air in as you can't expand the throacic cavity enough.

That is where this started, not me. I just followed.

Hopefully, Stanley is having fun, anyway.