PPV

As a point of uninteresting trivia...

Oxygen concentration does change with altitude above the turbopause because the thinning atmosphere reduces molecular interaction, allowing the the elements to stratify based on molecular weight.

I'll remember that next time my ambulance reaches 330,000 feet. ;)

Not uninteresting at all. I generally consider the atmosphere to "end" at or around Armstrong's limit. While this is not the case, the conventional atmospheric physics begin to break down and as a general rule patients are not transported at these altitudes.

Take care,

chbare.

And that's where this intermediate's head explodes.

Any recommendations for good reads on this stuff? I've had the hardest time getting the grasp of preoxegenation, which in my textbooks was mentioned briefly but did not give any specs or techniques.

(applied for my first ems job this week, btw..... I really hope I get it!)

And that's where this intermediate's head explodes.

Any recommendations for good reads on this stuff? I've had the hardest time getting the grasp of preoxegenation, which in my textbooks was mentioned briefly but did not give any specs or techniques.

(applied for my first ems job this week, btw..... I really hope I get it!)

In vents absence, this is an absolutely brilliant website (1). It took me a while to truly understand some of it. You may need to sit there with another google window open while you're reading it to plug in terms and ideas as they come up. I haven't looked through most of these links, but there's some good stuff there not specific to resp physiology but just good links in general (2).

(1) http://www.ccmtutorials.com/rs/oxygen/index.htm

(2) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=16494

1) I was wondering who had adopted my old pet invisible elephant, Stanley. Make sure you give him a good home!

2) A reminder that Denver is the "Mile High" City. Were I to go there, for the first day or so, I might have some mild oxygen starvation, as I live at 8 foot above sea level, which my body is used to.

Not a seasoned EMT, but did you try to insert some sort of adjunct, such as an OPA or NPA? Because if your patient was unconscious, he needed to have his airway protected.

OP I'm still kind of curious about this. Did you secure the airway before ventilating?

1) I was wondering who had adopted my old invisible pet elephant, Stanley. Make sure you give him a good home!

I tell you what ole Stanely keeps me on my toes. I have to lug big bags of peanuts out to the front yard to keep him fed and the joggers are really suprised to see an elephant in my front yard!

The local Constabulary told me he would be OK if I built up the fence a bit higher as he did go for a wander once and couldn't remember how to get home. Hmmm, might have to give him some directions or two bucks for the subway, although last time I heard the MTA put the fare up.

Can you immagine an elephant on the Subway? "This is the Bronx bound F train making no stops between 94th St and 95th St , next stop 96St; mind the elephant in the rear car"

Since when do you secure an OPA/NPA?

Might be a tautology, the American's use the phrase "secure the airway" rather liberally from what I've heard.