Considering Relocating

Hello and Happy Holdays to All,

I am currently working in the Mid South for a large urban fire department. I am looking to possibly relocate closer to home, somewhere in the Northeast. Any leads on avaliable jobs meeting the following criteria;

1. Fire based or third service; due to the contract nature of private services and the inherent instability I am not interested in a private service.

2. While it's not all about money, I currently bring in about $63,000 annualy at my full time gig. I would need to be somewhat close to that.

3. Primarily 911; I am ok with some ALS hospital transfers but my days of renal roundup are over.

4. The service must be progressive in nature with an emphasis on quality care and employee well being.

If anybody has any leads, they would be appreciated.

Hello and Happy Holdays to All,

I am currently working in the Mid South for a large urban fire department. I am looking to possibly relocate closer to home, somewhere in the Northeast. Any leads on avaliable jobs meeting the following criteria;

1. Fire based or third service; due to the contract nature of private services and the inherent instability I am not interested in a private service.

2. While it's not all about money, I currently bring in about $63,000 annualy at my full time gig. I would need to be somewhat close to that.

3. Primarily 911; I am ok with some ALS hospital transfers but my days of renal roundup are over.

4. The service must be progressive in nature with an emphasis on quality care and employee well being.

If anybody has any leads, they would be appreciated.

Take a look at Boston EMS. I have heard some GREAT things about them (it's my ultimate goal), and they are all 911. However, they have some rules that may not appeal to you (you have to work as a basic for a certain amount of time, regardless of how much training you have), and their starting pay is not what you're looking for as far as I know. Go to their website and look around.

You MIGHT be able to pull off 63k at one of the better-paid fire departments up here with a hefty amount of overtime, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of progressive or patient-focused care. Especially at one of the large departments, many of whom don't run transport EMS anyway (ie Boston, Worcester, Hartford, Springfield, New Bedford, Nashua).

The ones that do most likely aren't hiring anytime soon due to the economy- they can barely hang on to the people they have everytime the civilian management starts swinging the budget axe.

CT has a few third-services such as New Britian EMS; in Massachusetts, UMass EMS in Worcester just hired recently so I wouldn't expect them to have any openings, New Bedford EMS is just barely avoiding more layoffs. Fall River FD "owns" EMS but uses single-role non-FF providers, however they're in a shaky financial position and wouldn't be hiring.

Nobody in RI is hiring or likely will be.

I know very little about EMS in Maine, Vermont, or NY. Depending how far south you're willing to stop, I know Delaware ALS is county-based and fairly progressive within the model (ALS intercepting BLS), you might have some luck there.

Good luck. You're gonna need it.

Edited by CBEMT

You need to factor cost of living more than salary. If where you at is expensive your listed salary may actually not be better than some locations where you make half. So you could take less posiibly and actually be stepping up.

Oh and I hear there are a couple new openings in NYFD.

I'm in south central PA, and if I made 63k a year I'd be rich. The cost of living here isn't terrible, and I'm doing REALLY well at a little over 35K a year. Now, if I relocated an hour south to Maryland, I'd be lucky to be able to eat if I made 63K a year, let alone afford a house and my car. It's all relative.

The northeast is pretty big, did you have a particular area in mind?

If your a Medic look here...

http://www.evanhospital.com/jobs/

Central PA. Nice area, good call volume. 911 hospital based system that is Squad truck/MICU based. Decent salary/benefits from the hospital.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.