Versed Only

stcommodore

My current protocols call for Valium IVP for seizures in adults and Versed IN for seizures in children. Resently at work we have been having to use Ativan due to a shortage of Valium, our hospital cannot get Valium the last time I checked which was about two weeks ago. Is anyone else experiencing a problem getting Valium?

I haven't heard anything about a shortage, but I've noticed that a lot of services are going to Ativan and/or Versed as alternatives.

I've not heard of difficulties with obtaining valium right now - perhaps this is just a regional issue for you?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

We use diazepam as our first-line drug for adult and pedi seizures, with midazolam as a back-up if diazepam doesn't work or you can't establish an IV. It's up to the provider's discretion as to whether diazepam or midazolam are administered for sedation for anxiety/cardioversion/etc.

Los Angeles moved from Diazepam to Midazolam last summer 09. In addition to seizures, they added chemical restraint as an indication (for excited delirium situations). It's worked really great when I used it. Part of the reason they switched to it, is the shorter duration (in cases of overdose).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.