Houston area ems?

im getting out of the army in 10 months. i just started the process of the "soldier to civilian" transition, and im exploring options. im stationed in nny, but i will be moving back home to the north houston area.

i am a licensed embalmer with an associates in applied science (funeral service college in houston) but i am wanting to use my GI Bill when i get out of the army, and get another 2 year degree in something else.

i am really leaning towards paramedic, its one of the few things i can see myself doing as a civilian.

i am just scratching the surface as far as beginning to start planning my future.. so im not set on paramedic, but its certainly in the lead.

here are my questions...

1. is the houston area saturated with people trying to become paramedics? i know its hard to get into nursing schools right now due to oversaturation of applicants.

2. what pay would i be looking at starting at? should i take the EMT course first at a fast track school to just get it out of the way and possibly start working part time to start my experience early?

3. what are the chances of a fresh graduate landing a city or county job? am i looking at having to start out at a hospital er or private company?

im basically just looking for a few tips of how its worked out for you guys. all ive done so far is google salaries, but i dont trust the web lol. at least its not right when i looked up embalmers salary.

thanks.

"1. is the houston area saturated with people trying to become paramedics? i know its hard to get into nursing schools right now due to oversaturation of applicants."

Yes but there are tons of non accredited schools pumping them out faster than they are burning out. I suggest seeing if you can get in an accredited program.

2. what pay would i be looking at starting at? should i take the EMT course first at a fast track school to just get it out of the way and possibly start working part time to start my experience early?

At the privates just above minimum. Maybe $10-12 an hour with no benefits, but probably less. Texas requires emt basic certification in order to be certified at Paramedic level. As to experience many prefer no experience and others think experience is good.

3. what are the chances of a fresh graduate landing a city or county job? am i looking at having to start out at a hospital er or private company?

Odds are in Houston area you will have to start at a private. 911 is handled by fire in Houston. You might find an out lying 911 that will hire new Paramedics.

To make a living wage you'll need to work as a paramedic for a municipal 911 agency or a well-paying private. I don't know how well the privates pay or who they are.

Reputable places to work: Montgomery County Hospital District (MCHD) EMS, Cypress Creek EMS, Northwest EMS (kinda slow/small system but if you can get past that they pay pretty good)

Places that could be questionable: Harris County ESD-1 (it's what you make of it, really...I've heard stories of just shady, shady things going on at this agency, but they pay well and you WILL get experience with lots of critical patients), Cy-Fair VFD (cronyism has been a problem in the past, protocols are lackluster and I hear that you don't get first responders on many calls)

Places I know nothing about but might be good: Atascocita VFD, Crosby, Clear Lake Emergency Medical Corps (CLEMC)

Places to Avoid: Any of the 200+ private EMS companies unless you do your homework and find one that might be tolerable

To make a living wage you'll need to work as a paramedic for a municipal 911 agency or a well-paying private. I don't know how well the privates pay or who they are.

Reputable places to work: Montgomery County Hospital District (MCHD) EMS, Cypress Creek EMS, Northwest EMS (kinda slow/small system but if you can get past that they pay pretty good)

Places that could be questionable: Harris County ESD-1 (it's what you make of it, really...I've heard stories of just shady, shady things going on at this agency, but they pay well and you WILL get experience with lots of critical patients), Cy-Fair VFD (cronyism has been a problem in the past, protocols are lackluster and I hear that you don't get first responders on many calls)

Places I know nothing about but might be good: Atascocita VFD, Crosby, Clear Lake Emergency Medical Corps (CLEMC)

Places to Avoid: Any of the 200+ private EMS companies unless you do your homework and find one that might be tolerable

LaPorte would be a good fit for ex-military folks. They like shiny badges, collar brass, and polished shoes. Go across the Fred Hartman bridge into Baytown, and its much more laid back, and better paid. (At least when I was there)

Most paramedic programs aren't over saturated, and just about every community college system in the Houston area has a program (and they are accredited). You'll be required to hold a basic certification to become a paramedic, and there is nothing wrong with working as an EMT-B while you work towards becoming a paramedic. It will be pretty tough to get hired on as an EMT with a municipal service (more so with no experience). Your options here are working for a hospital/clinic which pays anywhere from $14-$17 an hour (most hospitals have decent benefits packages) or going to work for a private ambulance service.

There are 326 private ambulance services in Harris County, and I hate to burst people's bubbles but this also includes services contracted by ESD's to provide EMS in a 911 type setting. Every service has it's good points and bad points. Ask 10 people in EMS what they think about a service and you'll get 10 different answers. Like someone mentioned, do your homework.

-Nate

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.