EMT in France

tilovin1

Hi all,

I am new here and am ALSO NOT an EMT. I am thinking of becoming one but am soon moving to France. I don't want to go through the training to find out I can't work in France and was wondering if anyone here knows if I would be allowed to work in France. The citizenship papers are not my concern, more the equivalency exams if any (stuff like that)?

If you know of anything that could help please let me know asap. Thanks so so much.

Troy

Ahhh France, the country where doctors ride on the ambulances.

The sole member of the NATO stakeholder nations that screws up my staffing by requiring me to employ physicians on this project because they do not recognize the abilities of paramedics, nevermind EMTs or the fact that most doctors outside of France interested in this line of work are extremely unqualified or ill prepared/incompetent. Ask me how many doctors I have hired and fired in the past 14 months.

Good luck in your endeavor but it would be wise to save your money and time.

I agree with the above.

The only thing you will need to be in the French EMS system, is an EU driving license. Then you can get to drive the Docs about in the ambulance.

From an EMS career standpoint, France is probably the last country to move to if you are not an MD.

Ahhh France, the country where doctors ride on the ambulances.

The sole member of the NATO stakeholder nations that screws up my staffing by requiring me to employ physicians on this project because they do not recognize the abilities of paramedics, nevermind EMTs or the fact that most doctors outside of France interested in this line of work are extremely unqualified or ill prepared/incompetent. Ask me how many doctors I have hired and fired in the past 14 months.

Good luck in your endeavor but it would be wise to save your money and time.

That's not the only one... in Italy we do it the same way, and I'm quite sure several other EU conuntries also staff MD and nurses on ambulances (maybe the Netherlands? Belgium?).

As for the remark about quality of EMS physicians otuside France... I should take offence! <_<

To the OP: I agree with akflightmedic, you will have a hard time getting any of your training recognized in France...

Edited by JackMaga

It seems, many countries outside of the United States have physicians who are much more involved in the practical aspects of EMS. I worked with South African casualty physicians who were rather adept in the practical aspects of patient care. As an American, it was rather strange having a physician help you package a critical patient for transport. I remember caring for a hypertensive emergency somewhere over Iraq in a Russian cargo plane. While I was monitoring the patients ICP via an IVC system, my doc mixed and hung a labetalol infusion. Something that is rather foreign in my experience as a nurse.

Take care,

chbare.

That's not the only one... in Italy we do it the same way, and I'm quite sure several other EU conuntries also staff MD and nurses on ambulances (maybe the Netherlands? Belgium?).

As for the remark about quality of EMS physicians otuside France... I should take offence! <_<

To the OP: I agree with akflightmedic, you will have a hard time getting any of your training recognized in France...

Thank you for your response and by no means did I mean to imply France was the only nation. If you will note I said "on this project", my current assignment which falls under NATO and it is within this project that France makes my job difficult.

In regards to physician quality which I receive here, on this project, well that is dismal because any physician who is qualified to be here has no reason to be here...make sense? Basically, if they are qualified, they are already employed and certainly not willing to come here for the pay versus risk.