Ambulance Hits and Kills Well-Loved College Professor

EMS49393

Johnny Dollar was one of the most vibrant professors at his college. He was a teacher of World Religions and several history classes. He would come into my US History class every morning to chat with that instructor and with us. His death is devastating.

I used to work for MEMS. They have a reputation for forcing EMT's to work consecutive days in a row without a break upon penalty of being written up or terminated for "dereliction of duty" should they say they are too tired. I personally know the man that stuck and killed Johnny. I have to wonder if they pushed this man to that limit. I always said it wouldn't be a question of "if" they had a major accident, it was a question of "when." Unfortunately, MEMS also has some great propaganda people and I see this being cleanly swept under the rug quickly.

My heart is breaking over the loss of Johnny. My sympathy goes out to his wonderful wife Susan, to the history department at Pulaski Tech, and to all the people that Johnny's life touched.

Ambulance strikes and kills professor

http://www.kfsm.com/news/sns-ap-ar--ambulancefatality,0,3873702.story

Ambulance hits, kills Pulaski Tech teacher who stopped to help injured animal

By Associated Press

5:40 PM CST, November 2, 2009

CONWAY, Ark. (AP) — A teacher at Pulaski Technical College is dead after he was struck by an ambulance when he stopped to help an injured animal.

Johnny Dollar, who taught history and religion at the North Little Rock school, was killed Saturday night on U.S. 65 north of Conway after he stopped his car and got out, according to a friend, Danny Martin.

The ambulance was operated by Metropolitan Emergency Medical Service, or MEMS, based at Little Rock. MEMS Executive Director John Swanson issued a statement saying Dollar's death was a tragedy. "Our prayers and our thoughts are with the family," the statement said.

Swanson said the driver of the ambulance was a three-year MEMS employee in his early 40s who had "no issues with his driving that I can recall." MEMS said it was investigating the matter.

Swanson said it was the first fatality involving an ambulance in his 11 years with MEMS.

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=93724

Update: Ambulance Hits & Kills Pulaski Tech Professor

Students say he brought vibrancy and compassion to his life's work. The campus of Pulaski Technical College is mourning the loss of one of it's professors, Johnny Dollar.

The hallways just weren't the same Monday at Pulaski Tech. There was a little less laughter and a little less joy.

"He truly truly will be a legacy on this campus," says former student Lindsay Hild.

A single rose was left at Johnny Dollar's office, like a vibrant symbol of a man who students say did great things as an instructor of history and religion.

"I am absolutely just 100 percent just grateful that I was able to have him as a teacher and most importantly call him a friend," explains Hild.

Dollar was driving down Highway 65 in Faulkner County Saturday night when he stopped to rescue an injured animal. It was dark. A MEMS ambulance struck and killed him.

Dollar's friend and colleague Danny Martin says, "He'd do anything for anyone. He had a soft heart especially when it came to animals."

MEMS is still investigating the accident but wants the family to know they're grieving with them.

MEMS Executive Director John Swanson released the following statement: "In the 11 years I have been here, this has never happened. It is a tragedy and a very sad time. We are sorry. Our prayers and our thoughts are with the family."

Swanson says the driver of the ambulance is a three-year MEMS employee in his early 40s who had "no issues with his driving that I can recall."

"It will definitely be a void without him here," says Martin.

Before the accident, Dollar had just left Martin's home. The pair was friends for several years. It's one last visit that he'll never forget.

"He made an impression on me. He made history fascinating," says Martin. "Probably have to tell him I love him. I was that close to him. I miss him."

Johnny Dollar, the man with a unique teaching style and a captivating quality that touched hundreds of students.

His death is tragic and untimely, serving now as a reminder of just how fragile life can be.

"He is somebody that will be dearly missed and never forgotten," says colleague and former student Erika King.

School president Dan Bakke says, "It does not surprise me that Johnny risked his own life to save another. He was and will continue to be a hero to many of his students, former students, colleagues, friends and family members. Johnny brought energy, vibrancy, passion and compassion to his life's work. The abruptness of his death is especially difficult to understand because of the enthusiasm with which he lived his life."

The school has set up a Facebook memorial page in his honor where students can leave messages of remembrance.

Dollar joined the Pulaski Tech as an adjunct faculty member in 1993. He became a full-time faculty member in 1996.

Today's THV is told that the counseling services department will provide a grief workshop to assist the campus community with the loss. It will be held in the R. J. Wills lecture hall on Friday, Nov. 6 at 12 p.m

Thanks for posting the entire story. I'm not tech-savvy enough to figure out why my links never work. It's time for me to just post stories and forget trying to insert links.

Unfortunately, it's been a bad weekend all around. I knew Johnny from school, but I also know the man that was driving the ambulance that struck him. Things are much easier to deal with if you have at least one anonymous party. On top of that, I had the one of my worst shifts in a few years Halloween night, so it's looking like this holiday is going to go down in my "never celebrate again" column.

Things are much easier to deal with if you have at least one anonymous party.

That is an interesting observation. I don't think I have ever considered that before, but it sounds quite logical.

It's definitely a sad affair, and a great loss. I wish peace to those dealing with the loss, as well as to the crew who must live with it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.