Good EMS books?

Seriously? Someone is dinging our reputation points for this thread? I figured it wouldn't take long for some ass to start abusing this system. It would be nice to know why.

Seriously, wtf is that all about? I like to think a lot of those were just accidents, because otherwise it makes zero sense. I know I've done a couple of accidental plus or minus points while meaning to click something else, like the reply button.

Anyhow, I used to not read because of my ADD. Now that the ADD is cured, I just don't have any motivation anymore. It's a curse. I may give Kelly a read though, because I do enjoy his blog and articles, and he's good people. One of the few that seems to "get it".

• Like 2

I am currently reading Stiff by Mary Roach. The "life" or well afterlife of cadavers and how they are used for science. To study numerous things. Decomposition,accidents,embalming and more are discussed in this book. It is also written with humor as well.

Also Memiors of a flight nurse is good. I do not remember who the author is.

The Peter Canning books are good as well.

Lastly Emergency. I believe it is called by a ED Md. Stories of patients in the ED setting by various physicians.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished up Canning's book, "Rescue 471: A Paramedic's Stories", and am about 1/3rd of the way through "En Route" by Kelly Grayson.

I thoroughly enjoyed Canning's book, although there seemed to be a few short stories that werent very interesting to me. Overall it was a good read. So far i like Grayson's book more, we seem to have a similar sense of humor, and he goes into a bit more detail about his treatments for each patient. The ALS treatments being spelled out in great detail are of great interest to me since ill be starting the medic program this semester. Im hoping to learn a bit more about advanced care from this book before i get into the classroom.

Thanks again for all the recommendations, ill be picking up some of the other books that you guys suggested as soon as i can.

• Like 1

Although not related to EMS but still related to medicine, Dr. Ben Carson wrote a book many years ago called Gifted Hands. For anyone unfamiliar with him, he is the head (nice pun) of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Edited by EMS49393
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.