Comm. Drivers Med Exam in CA cost?

jw

Does anyone know how much these medical exams for DMV's DL 51 form cost? I am seeking EMS employment- so I don't have an employer to pay for it unfortunately. It doesn't seem like my insurance will cover this exam. My insurance doesn't know if they will pay because I don't have a ICD# (billing code) for them. The various doctors office's I have called can't give me a billing code because their billing service "handles" it, and they won't give me the number to call their billing services because I am not a patient.

Is anyone familiar with out of pocket cost for this in the SF Bay Area or suggestions to go about this? I don't really want to get stuck out-of-pocket for $500!

Thanks

Does anyone know how much these medical exams for DMV's DL 51 form cost? I am seeking EMS employment- so I don't have an employer to pay for it unfortunately. It doesn't seem like my insurance will cover this exam. My insurance doesn't know if they will pay because I don't have a ICD# (billing code) for them. The various doctors office's I have called can't give me a billing code because their billing service "handles" it, and they won't give me the number to call their billing services because I am not a patient.

Is anyone familiar with out of pocket cost for this in the SF Bay Area or suggestions to go about this? I don't really want to get stuck out-of-pocket for $500!

Thanks

Ok, well here is the site for the california DL51 exam. If you have any of the conditions listed in this form then you will be ineligible for passing this exam.

Here is the link to the form. Print it out, then take it to your family physician and see if he can do it. More than likely you will need a physician certified to perform this examination but who knows. You could get a referral which would pay for it.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/dl/dl51.pdf

Michael "ruffems" Ruff

This was in So Cal, but I went to a local neighborhood clinic and they charged me $100. However, they'd never heard of a DL 51, and weren't familiar with the forms.

But after I sat and waited a couple of hours the doctor found time to look over the forms and decided, if I passed, she'd have no problem signing them off. I then went to the DMV and took the ambulance driver written and got that certificate. (You need the DL 51 and a Live Scan background check before the DMV will issue you a driver cert.)

The funny part is the ambulance company I went to work for a week or so later mandated a pre-employment physical and drug test so they sent me to their doctor who gave me the exact same physical again (same paper work and all).

:)