Line of Duty deaths

How does your service or the services in your area deal with Line of Duty Deaths?

I know that my service has not had a line of duty death in at least 18 years but we have had people from our hospital die. The family of the deceased are responsible for funerals on that end and whoever from our department can go, goes.

AS for LODD - MAST ambulance a number of years ago had a line of duty death of two members of it's service and they I believe had a pretty nice ceremony. I also attended a former preceptor at MAST who died suddenly and we had the procession of hundreds of paramedics, firefighters, emt's and nurses and docs from all over the region in the procession.

KCFD had 6 firefighters killed many years ago in an arson explosion and there were about 1500 people in attendance for that funeral.

So I can't say how they would handle a line of duty death for one of our staff members but I don't think it would be like the KCFD or MAST get ups.

Huge events, and rightly so. Tons of media coverage, reporters, TV, etc. Just like any family, all the squabbles, politics, and bickering take a back seat. Very somber, very dignified, and the amazing thing to me is how many civilians want to pay their respects and attend the wake, funeral, and the processions. These processions alone can tie up traffic for miles and screw up entire neighborhoods, but few people seem to be really bothered by it. It's also a process that drags on probably longer than a "traditional" death, since it takes time to organize everything involved in putting on one of these events.

As for details, there is a department liaison that works with the family and with their wishes. The family dictates their and the member's wishes, and the department abides by them. Insurance issues, death benefits, counseling, financial help, logistics with the actual wake and burial, etc- all are discussed and assisted with. Some families want a hearse, others opt for the member's assigned apparatus to carry the coffin. Of course an honor guard is arranged, bagpipers, etc. Rides for the family are arranged, taking a kid to school, help with things like shopping, making phone calls, notifications of appropriate agencies, and much more. Essentially, anything the family needs is taken care of. It's on overwhelming time for them and I think most of them they have no idea what is in store for them. They are always amazed at how many people and law enforcement, fire, military, and EMS agency representatives show up-from all over the country, and how many may have never met the person. It's a show of respect for them, their families, the member who died, and for the whole organization.

Additionally, coworkers step up and do whatever is needed- shovel snow, mow grass, do household chores, pick up elderly relatives, provide meals, run errands- whatever is necessary. This process goes on long after the member is buried- the family is not forgotten.

These things are obviously difficult- even if you may not know the member personally- because we are indeed a family. Lots of tears, lots of laughs and plenty of stories.

At the most recent wake I attended- not line of duty- but an active member- who died suddenly, I briefly spoke with the family after paying my respects, and even though it was only an hour or so into the wake, they were stunned at the turn out, and they finally understood exactly what it means to have a second family. The line of mourners had already stretched out the door and down the block and they said that all the love and respect shown really helps them get through the process. There have been many times I've spent as much as 3 hours just standing in line, waiting to pay my respects.

These things are physically and emotionally draining for all involved. You hug your kids and your family a little tighter, and appreciate them even more.

Obviously, LODD's vary depending on available resources, size of the agencies involved, and the area you work in, but a show of respect is also not about numbers.

The North Shore LIJ CEMS, where I used to work, experienced two LODD's. One was Carlos Lillo, a FDNY medic who worked per diem at the CEMS, who died on 9/11. Paramedic Bill Stone died while running a vollie call in his spare time out on the island during an accident.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=39&id=41502

NYS has a memorial to honor EMS LODD's

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/emsmemorial.htm

I'm in the fire service now, where we study LODD's, learn from them and recreate the situation and drill on them. Examples learned from fire LODD's include two in/two out, RIT, level 2 RIT, Columbus Drill, Denver Drill, maze training, PAR checks, the Heart and Lung Bill, constant revisions to our operation manuals, backing procedures for apparatus, and plymovents to suck up diesel fumes in the bay. I shudder when I think of the 5 years of diesel fumes I've sucked in while sitting on street corners waiting for jobs to come over. As far as EMS, I would think that likely LODD's would include MVA's, needle sticks/other exposures (just drop the sharp on the floor until you need for a BGL or are able to dispose of it properly!), trauma sustained from lack of situational awareness regarding scene safety, suicide related to traumatic work experiences, and the way underemphasized physical health leading to MI's, CVA's and such. Those causes should be drilled and incorporated into the agency's SOP's where applicable, and enforced. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.