Tuition Assistance

46Young

I'm a 33 year old FFM , married with one child and another one due in late Jan. My wife doesn't work, my base salary is around 67-69k/yr, and I'm on pace to make about 85k or so in total this year. My job is only covering one class per semester at the moment, who knows when they'll allow more. I intend to ask HR for any leads regarding tuition assistance through grants and such. Would anyone have any insight as to what's available at the moment, and what the salary caps would be for certain programs?

I'm a 33 year old FFM , married with one child and another one due in late Jan. My wife doesn't work, my base salary is around 67-69k/yr, and I'm on pace to make about 85k or so in total this year. My job is only covering one class per semester at the moment, who knows when they'll allow more. I intend to ask HR for any leads regarding tuition assistance through grants and such. Would anyone have any insight as to what's available at the moment, and what the salary caps would be for certain programs?

There are many free sites you can look for regarding grant/scholarship/etc., however, I can't think of them right now. Maybe check with your local community college financial aid personnel. They may be of assistance in your request. Look for previous EMS benefactors also.

• Like 1

There are many free sites you can look for regarding grant/scholarship/etc., however, I can't think of them right now. Maybe check with your local community college financial aid personnel. They may be of assistance in your request. Look for previous EMS benefactors also.

Thanks. When I search the web, all I can find are sites featuring links to applications for various programs. what I can't find are eligibility criteria. I'm wondering if I'm compensated too well to qualify for any aid, even though my wife isn't working, and I'll soon have two children. I can't find any links advising the upper limit cutoff on salary for any of the programs.

Also, our credit is excellent, so we won't having any problems in securing loans. I'm not looking to go that route, however, as we're prepared to purchase a house next year.

Edited by 46Young

Thanks. When I search the web, all I can find are sites featuring links to applications for various programs. what I can't find are eligibility criteria. I'm wondering if I'm compensated too well to qualify for any aid, even though my wife isn't working, and I'll soon have two children. I can't find any links advising the upper limit cutoff on salary for any of the programs.

Also, our credit is excellent, so we won't having any problems in securing loans. I'm not looking to go that route, however, as we're prepared to purchase a house next year.

Are you looking to provide EMS related education or something entirely different? That is the dependent factor on whether I can be of help or not. If you are looking to move into a different career, nursing, etc there are also a couple options. Please be more specific so we can help you.

Are you looking to provide EMS related education or something entirely different? That is the dependent factor on whether I can be of help or not. If you are looking to move into a different career, nursing, etc there are also a couple options. Please be more specific so we can help you.

I broke it all down on the thread regarding RT vs RN. Career development at my FRD gives much weight to education for points on promotional exams. I intend to complete fire science, as well as either an ASN or RRT. I'm looking to go with fire science last, as I want the ASN or RRT for side work, or as a fallback career should I sustain a career ending injury landing me on permanent disability. I don't plan on testing for a Lt spot for at least 6-7 years, as all the OT is at the FFM/technician level, and the job responsibilities are far less, freeing up more time for studying. Fire science is wholly necessary for a LT promotion IMO, but I intend to defer seeking a LT spot until I complete both the RN/RT and fire science. I also plan to get into EMS education at some point, and I believe that optimally the educator should be a level or two above the field that they're teaching. I would like to enter EMS education regardless, however.

The thing is, I can get my RN at the NOVA CC if I so choose, and it's wholly affordable. For RRT, I haven't checked yet. However, we're looking to purchase a house in the near future. the FRD will pay for only one class per semester, and I'm not inclined to pay out of pocket for more classes at the moment, at least not until I go up a few steps in pay. OT at my job is over 32/hr (more when we earn step increases in years to come), which is equivalent to working per diem at a job that pays around 67k/yr (which is roughly my yearly base). I've been told that RN's start in this region at around 50k or so, and RRT's get around 60k. So, I'm not losing any ground financially by chipping away at a degree piecemeal until I absolutely have to go school FT. I don't want to drag it out, rather complete as quickly as I can provided I do well, which brings me to the reason why I started this thread.

Edited by 46Young

The schools financial aid office is the best source for what is available. In many areas, hospitals will pay your loans in exchange for signing a contract to work there "x" number of years.

That's the problem. Unless I go down with an injury, I won't be working FT, so I don't think a hospital would be inclined to pay my way.

I've also discovered why I can't find any info for salary caps and related info. When you apply, there's a sliding scale regarding salary that dictates what the Gov't will pay out. I'm going to contact the FRD's education coordinator tomorrow and hopefully get pointed in the right direction.