New

oldlady

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I'm not in the Human Medical profession as of right now. I have been contemplating whether to go back to school for EMT-B. I'm an Old Lady and the only concern I have is all the lifting!! I have always wanted to work in an E.R. setting, I just not sure if this is the right position. I would love to work as an E.R. Nurse but Chemistry is not my strong suite!!!!!!! Any suggestion welcome.

1) Lifting is going to be a big part of EMS work. Please take that into consideration, as I am sidelined by a back injury from, ironically, lifting a back injury patient.

2) Your veterinary experience might come in useful here in the EMT City, as we sometimes have discussions on dealing with animal interaction with EMS teams, and the patients they handle, such as pets or work partners (Police Dogs and Horses, guide dogs, for example).

3) Welcome aboard, if this IS the direction you want to go.

• Like 2

You could always work as a tech in the Emergency Room with a Certified Nursing Assistant cert.

Question for you, why do you let Chemistry keep you from something you would like to do? Why exactly do you want to work in an emergency field? I have always been under the opinion that if you truly want something, you'll find a way to get it.

Welcome to EMTCity. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Matty

• Like 2

You could always work as a tech in the Emergency Room with a Certified Nursing Assistant cert.

Question for you, why do you let Chemistry keep you from something you would like to do? Why exactly do you want to work in an emergency field? I have always been under the opinion that if you truly want something, you'll find a way to get it.

Welcome to EMTCity. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Matty

I live in a rural area in northern Michigan, therefore I thought getting my EMT-b would make me more qualified, Then just a CNA. I never see job listings for E.R. Techs in my area. Mostly just nursing assistants in E.R. I love working to help people, animals in need, I like fast pace . To answer your question about letting Chemistry keep me from doing something. I believe it is very much harder for a hand-on person to be book smart and there is a difference . I am not book Smart I have test anxiety Plus a learning disability in math . I had to take basic college algebra twice in order to pass with 3.5. I took a half semester of Chemistry and drop it, just because I was total loss. So I don't believe that just wanting something bad enough can help you get it.

I live in a rural area in northern Michigan, therefore I thought getting my EMT-b would make me more qualified, Then just a CNA. I never see job listings for E.R. Techs in my area. Mostly just nursing assistants in E.R. I love working to help people, animals in need, I like fast pace . To answer your question about letting Chemistry keep me from doing something.

I was using the term ER Tech to mean an assistant in the ER, which could be a CNA or EMT.

I believe it is very much harder for a hand-on person to be book smart and there is a difference . I am not book Smart I have test anxiety Plus a learning disability in math . I had to take basic college algebra twice in order to pass with 3.5. I took a half semester of Chemistry and drop it, just because I was total loss. So I don't believe that just wanting something bad enough can help you get it.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on that point. There are many 'hands on' people that can 'get it'. There are different resources and methods to helping you learn what you want to know. Just because you are a hands on person and have an unspecified learning disability does not make you incapable of learning. Chins up and get what you desire ! :showoff:

Matty

With an eighty year old male on my squad running day crew at a volunteer EMS squad, I say go for it! You're never too old unless you make it so. :)

Welcome to the City!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.