Texting While Driving Emergency Vehicle

Texting While Driving  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you text while driving your emergency vehicle

• I do it all the time, I am good at it, there is no danger
    • I probably text about half the time I am driving
    • I rarely text while driving an emergency vehicle
    • I never read or respond to text messages while driving, I wait until I am not driving

In researching one of the many ambulance crashes last month, I discovered one where the EMT admitted to being distracted and "looking down", and not at the road, just prior to his crash. The newspaper article did not clarify what he was distracted by, but there is no doubt in my mind that he was probably texting someone or reading a text message. This is probably the most dangerous epidemic facing our industry, not H1N1. Is there anyone who agrees with me, that this practice should be banned ?

Edited by crotchitymedic1986
  • Like 2

I have had one partner fired for texting and driving, yes I walked in the office and said this person is fired and the supervisor did the paperwork. Patient on board you better not touch anything that is not required to get me and my patient to the hospital. If you are driving at all you better not be texting. Texting and driving is an automatic firing offense in my opinion.

• Like 1

I'd take that a step farther and apply it to even answering their cellphone.

NO NO NO NO NO NO Emphatically NO NO NO No Texting while driving. If you do I'm going to have you stop the ambulance and I'm gonna drive and you will sit your sorry ass in the back of the ambulance and when we get back I'm gonna have a sit down with the supervisor/boss and discuss this behaviour.

Got to run now, my wife is getting upset with me for being on the computer

I ALWAYS pull off the road if I want to answer or read a text when I am driving my car. I have a earphone for calls. I rarely drive the Ambo so that isnt an option for me there.

I think I'd also add that you better not be talking or texting on your cellphone during patient contact either. When the tones drop, the bullshyte stops.

Would you say that the driver should not operate any 2 way radio while driving then as well?

If a partner is available to handle the radios, he should be doing so. If the partner is in back, then obviously the driver has to do what he has to do.

It's against the rules to be on a cellphone while in the apparatus, in our department. I would assume that also applies to texting, although it does not specifically say that.

It only makes sense- a couple idiots were caught by bosses driving to an emergency response while talking on the phone and the rule was established. Even before the that, I had a partner(only for a day) who was constantly on his phone. When he made a call while driving lights and siren, I hit the ceiling. I first asked if it was a family emergency, and he said no. I told him to hang up the phone immediately or I would smash it into a million pieces. He looked at me like I was nuts. I said that HE was responsible for my safety while he was behind the wheel, and if I ever caught him doing that again- with or without a patient, I would write him up.

I may be an "old timer" and cannot understand why the younger generation needs to be on their phone 24/7, but if someone cannot wait a few minutes to make or receive a call or send a text, it seems pathological to me.

NOBODY is that important that they need an instant response to every call they make or receive.

I think I'd also add that you better not be talking or texting on your cellphone during patient contact either. When the tones drop, the bullshyte stops.

We have had patients tell us that the EMT(P)s were on their cellphone the whole time they were in the back with the patient. We've had EMT(P)s take a call on their personal cellphone during report in the ED from a 911 transport and during IFTs by "CCEMT-Ps" picking up a patient in the ICU. Even our physicians do not answer their personal cellphones during a report or rounds in the ICUs.

IPods are another pet peeve of mine as I removed one from an EMT who had transported my mother from a SNF to the hospital. It is rather difficult to take a BP with earpieces stuck in your ears or even listen to what the patient is saying. I gave the iPod to a nursing supervisor who was only going to release it to a senior supervisor for that ambulance service. Some might consider what I did an assault or theft by the way I demanded the iPod but on the bright side, I let him live despite his behavior and lack of care. It would also be these same fools who can not understand why some car drivers do not immediately move out of the way even with a siren blasting.

Edited by VentMedic
  • Like 2

How many of us have respoded to MVA's where something was involved other than concentrating on driving?

How many of us have seen the car in front of us/beside us weaving because they were doing something other than concentrating on driving?

We've seen what this behavior leads to, so why must you INSIST on doing it?

If my partner is seen on the phone or texting while driving, they'll be VERY lucky I don't take their phone and throw it out the window!

I'm NOT going to let some joker that has to read, text, put on makeup, yap on the cell phone, etc endanger MY safety; or that of my patient!

If you MUST talk on the cell phone, text, read a book, etc while driving....be stupid on YOUR OWN TIME!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.