help me with my paper! (please)

funkytomtom

Hey all,

I have a ten paper position paper to write for my emti class. Thus far I have generally chosen cardiology as a topic. I want some kind of engaging issue to take a position on, and I can think of just about 0. I'm not looking for you to decide my paper topic for me, but some ideas to spur me on would help. I've been thinking about addressing medications and their effects on heart rhythms, but again, I don't really have any "position" to take on this. Just to be clear, I DO NOT want my homework done for me, but I would appreciate some guidance to an interesting facet of cardiology so I can further my own learning.

Hey all,

I have a ten paper position paper to write for my emti class. Thus far I have generally chosen cardiology as a topic. I want some kind of engaging issue to take a position on, and I can think of just about 0. I'm not looking for you to decide my paper topic for me, but some ideas to spur me on would help. I've been thinking about addressing medications and their effects on heart rhythms, but again, I don't really have any "position" to take on this. Just to be clear, I DO NOT want my homework done for me, but I would appreciate some guidance to an interesting facet of cardiology so I can further my own learning.

Efficacy of pressors in cardiac arrest

Treatment of symptomatic but stable SVT in WPW

Amiodarons vs Lidocaine in pulseless VT/VF

Amiodarone use in stable perfusing V-Tach

Overdrive pacing in refractory SVT

Pacing witnessed Asystole

Try not to become overwhelmed. Assuming you are required to write a proper paper in an approved format, (APA in most cases) ten pages is not that long. You have a cover page, a table of contents, an abstract, and a works cited page. Therefore, you have whittled the ten page requirement down a bit. Any number of topics will be interesting and challenging. One thing to consider, is getting away from the standard "I think we should do this, and here is the evidence to prove my point" type of paper.

At your level, I think you may get more out of an informative or expository type of paper. Take the adrenergic response and bronchodilation situation for example. Most EMT's I know simply think you give albuterol, activate a beta receptor, and bronchioles magically dilate. You could push this concept much further by explaining the adenyl cyclase and cAMP involvement within the cell. Not only will you learn much more than the few hours spent on A&P in typical programs, your class mates will learn when you go to present your paper. Assuming you are required to present your paper. (A concept I would suggest.)

Take care,

chbare.

Oops.....

Saw paper and automatically thought of Paramedic..... even after I read emti..

Do you use Nitro? How bout 12 leads?? NTG in RVI is always a good topic.

How bout efficacy of high flow O2 in coronary event.

Oops.....

Saw paper and automatically thought of Paramedic..... even after I read emti..

Do you use Nitro? How bout 12 leads?? NTG in RVI is always a good topic.

How bout efficacy of high flow O2 in coronary event.

Nitro in Right Ventricular Ischemia or Infarction? Thats what I gather... Chbare, its funny that you just described my understanding of albuterol's action wholly and completely :unsure: That might make a good topic. One thing that makes it difficult is that I'm supposed to take a position and present a thesis before the paper is done. I would much rather research, THEN form an opinion and take a position. For instance, describing the adrenergic response with bronchodilation, what is my position? I believe that adrenergic stimulation leads to bronchodilation, and I will prove it dammit! Thanks for the responses, its stimulating the thought response in my brain...

Nitro in Right Ventricular Ischemia or Infarction? Thats what I gather... Chbare, its funny that you just described my understanding of albuterol's action wholly and completely :unsure: That might make a good topic. One thing that makes it difficult is that I'm supposed to take a position and present a thesis before the paper is done. I would much rather research, THEN form an opinion and take a position. For instance, describing the adrenergic response with bronchodilation, what is my position? I believe that adrenergic stimulation leads to bronchodilation, and I will prove it dammit! Thanks for the responses, its stimulating the thought response in my brain...

You can make a statement and still have an expository paper. Take the beta agonist for example. Your thesis could be something like "The importance of understanding intracellular physiology when administering inhaled beta 2 agonist medications." I do not think EMT-I students will be out setting up research projects and having their research published in the the New England Journal of Medicine. Therefore, it is safe to say your thesis will not be based around proving a concept that requires extensive research. You are simply making a statement based on current evidence available and not making a statement based on the evidence you personally produced/gathered.

Take care,

chbare.

here's a potential thesis...."Our paper will discuss the importance of understanding intracellular physiology when administering cardiac medications. We intend to go beyond the simple explanation of a drug action IE: parasympatholytic, and look at what actually happens when you administer a specific medication, and why your patient is getting better (or worse). We think this further understanding will better prepare the emt to make the right decisions in the field."

Thanks for all the ideas that didn't make it too! Tetralogy of Fallot is really interesting!

...You could push this concept much further by explaining the adenyl cyclase and cAMP involvement within the cell

*scurries away to look that up in his nursing book

Personally if it were me; I'd go with something like the cardiac action potential and how things like amiodarone work on it or GTN in anterior (RV) MIs

*scurries away to look that up in his nursing book

Personally if it were me; I'd go with something like the cardiac action potential and how things like amiodarone work on it or GTN in anterior (RV) MIs

It's actually even more complicated. All those molecules they talked about in A&P and molecular biology come back to haunt. (cAMP, Adenyl Cyclase, cGMP, MAO, COMP, and so on...)

GTN is just as complex if you really want to dive into how it works. It seems EMT students are still taught the primary mechanism of action revolves around dilating coronary arteries. When, significant action is based around preload reduction. Then, comes the actual process of how GTN works. Many people do not know that nitric oxide plays a significant role in how nitrates work in general.

Not trying to be a smart ass; however, at the EMT level I think the best paper to write should be based around challenging these general misconceptions by writing an expository essay. Then, feelings and fragile egos remain intact while the point can be delivered.

Take care,

chbare.