COST of EMS LIcensing

Medic One

What do you pay for?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What out of pocket expenses do you have to pay? (choose multiple if needed)

• I pay for State Licensing
    • I pay for National Licensing
    • I pay for ACLS
    • I pay for PALS
    • I pay for CPR
    • I pay for CME/Conferences
    • I pay for other required certs and LIcenses
    • My service covers 100%
    • My service covers 50%
    • My service covers 0%
    • I spend more than $100 a year for all combined
    • I spend more than $200 a year for all combined
    • I spend more than $300 a year for all combined
    • I write ALL or SOME expenses off on taxes
    • I write NO expenses off on taxes
    • I am sticking it out I make enought to cover all lic fees etc...
    • I am finding another career due to out of pocket costs

Just wondering what the average responder puts out of pocket for licensing fees and other EMS junk that we all seem to buy.

As of October 1st my State Lic. fees are going up to $150 a year, then add my required 48hrs of CME time plus ACLS/PALS/NALS/CPR/National Lic recert etc....

I figure I spend atleast $500+ to work....Yes I can deduct it at the end of the year but we are getting nickle and dimed every friggin month...I have PALS/ACLS and NALS every two years but they all expire the same month and it always breaks my bank...whats next?

What are we going to have to pay for next?

Uhg..I really need a career change...20yrs in EMS is killing me both financially and physically.

Edited by Medic One

A very good thread, it states that this is a public poll and can be viewed ?

I would like to add my -2 cents.

Canadian National association P.A.C. 15 $ (a bargain)

Alberta Provincial Registration: $385 this year and it goes up every year.

ACLS (every 2 years) = $450

PALS/NALs (every 2 years) = $480

CPR (every 2 years) = $150

ITLS well a sticky subject with me after 30 years in the industry if they even hint I need another BS "paint by numbers course" I will snap and do some rapid insertions of large gauge caths into our EMR "President" :devilish:

I let my ACLS and PALs Instructor lapse because it was not cost effective to be CHF bitch.

Oddly enough the Alberta College of Paramedics legislation only requires these courses every 4 years but CHF states every 2 years :wtf:

Now factor in travel and accommodations, if these courses are not available in my area.

I attend the College's AGM for some Con-ed/ CME (4 lectures minimum) and at least attend at least one provincial and one international EMS event ie EMStock last year (travel and accommodations) ~ 2 G.

Now as an RRT (I have duel registries) an additional 425.00 registration fees and attend at least 2 critical care conferences (most organised and provided for @ cost and or ACARTA sponsored) last one was $50 for the day and only a short drive too :icecream:

I just happened to be audited for Con Ed a minimum requirement of 48 credit hours in a 2 year period last year and My credits totaled 152 hours and basic minimum was 48 every 2 years, that in RT land.

The Con Ed program for Paramedicine is simply retarded with a pointless "self assessment" in over 55 areas (every 3 years one MUST evaluate oneself in the entire program based on competency based objectives that established over 15 years ago) seriously a waste of time on this one as it takes longer to "enter" areas of competency: for example ACLS has 25 areas of competency, so that takes longer than actually taking the ACLS the course ... sheesh.

Now we are being informed that with new legislation in Alberta that we will be personally be responsible for Mal Practice insurance TOO ... good grief.

No one buys my boots or my nomex (for industry or flying) hell some Industrial Operators (loosers) don't even provide a bloody T shirt either.

Now Lets add to that working in Industrial EMS: H2S (every 2 years) Construction Safety Ticket (every 5 years) IPR 16 (oilfield safety) Whimis and TDG and Fall Protection and Hi Angle Rope Rescue ... well now totaling this all up looks like I am working to support all these alphabet courses ONLY.

Your right Medic One it's time to get a job like a WAL Mart Greeter or HACK, cause at the end of the day they have more in their pockets than WE do !

Top that off that we are considered an "ESSENTIAL PUBLIC SERVICE"

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

Uhg..I really need a career change...20yrs in EMS is killing me both financially and physically.

Good luck with finding a career in the health care professions that is cheaper. Being a Paramedic is much cheaper than my other profession as an RRT and that is even with the hospital picking up the tab for some of the CMEs. RT is also probably cheaper than RN or PT. The licensure is definitely more expensive ($200+) and that should be your responsibility as taking care of your own license is just part of being a professional. You will have no one else to blame if it is not done correctly or in a timely manner. Don't trust others with your career. Additional national certifications may also need to be obtained in RT to work in certain areas of the hospital such as neonatal or pedi which usually requres the NPS and that is another $250. PFT has two certs at $250 each. The specialties now bring more required CMEs. The Asthma Educator course usually recommends the 2 day seminar ($350) which may require travel ($400+) before taking that test ($275). Additional college classes to get the next degree for advancement or job maintenance and security must be factored in. National, state and just professional update seminars may need to be taken. I attended 2 week long sessions ($800 each/hospital paid half) for just the HFA inhaler conversion. The part not paid by the hospital will be itemized on my taxes. Don't forget the tax accountant fee. As well, there is a personal time factor. Even for the mandatory inservices that are provided, they may not always fall on a day where they can be done at work since leaving a critical care area for 3 hours is not always possible.

Other health care professionals are also encouraged to belong to their professional associations which will include at least one national and one state (total about $200 depending on state). In fact, that is usually one of the things employers look for on your resume. Very few employers will settle for someone who is not promoting and supporting professional advancement.

BCLS, ACLS, PALS and NRP are of course required.

RNs also have their professional certifications which are not cheap and must also get additional CMEs in addition to what the state requires.

Let's just say professional participation and expectations cost more in other healthcare professions that take providing quality patient care seriously and maintaining high standards for employees.

The hospital will pick up $1000 of the cost for CMEs and college tuition with the average expense being about $2000 - 4000/2 years depending on number of out of area conferences and if you are doing work on a graduate degree.

For Flight, all of my expenses were covered for additional training and the basic required certs which included the BCLS, ACLS and PALS which eased the cost for RT.

BTW, which program is calling neonatal resuscitation NALS? Does it include the actual placement of the UAC/UVC and chest tubes?

I think this is a topic that plagues providers. Each state or region has different rules, and every agency has different ways of helping or not helping with obtaining needed recert. requirements. I am actually doing a live call in radio show on this topic Monday Sept 28th at 8pm EST. I would love for EMTcity members to come and join in the discussion. Here is the show link

Who Is Paying For Your Continuing Education?

It is scheduled for an hour so you can still watch the new show "Trauma" at 9:00. :)

• Like 1

I think this is a topic that plagues providers.

Plague providers?

If you want to be in any profession from healthcare to construction, you may need to take responsibility for obtaining a license and accepting the responsibility that goes with it.

Who Is Paying For Your Continuing Education?

I seriously hope this is not another "we're not increasing our education until they pay us more or they pay for all of our education" thing. There are too many excuses now coming from EMS providers that keep it from advancing. Giving some another excuse to not go the extra step for themselves as health care professionals is not what this profession needs.

It is scheduled for an hour so you can still watch the new show "Trauma" at 9:00

It is because some did enter EMS after watching too much TV with crap shows showing more heroes where brains aren't required that some whine about their responsibilites. Had they actually investigated being a Paramedic as a real health care profession they might know they have to get a license and maintain it.

Sorry but if this profession is to grow, the people in it has to accept some of the responsibilites for being considered a medical professional. If your employer doesn't pay for everything you may have to get creative in finding cheaper CMEs or going to equipment company sponsored workshops for your inservices. One may also have to learn tax advantages and if they can itemize their expenses.

Also, based on number of hours worked, Paramedics in some states do make more than RNs and RTs. Both the RT and the RN are held responible for renewing their own licenses and signing up for CMEs whether they are hospital sponsored and paid for or not. No company should have to hold the hand of a professional and tell them what they have to do to maintain being a professional. Spoon feeding should have ended with Paramedic school.

Edited by VentMedic

Vent I am aware of many hospitals that pay all renewals, CEU's etc for their nurses. So why should we in EMS not be allowed the same incentives?

My service applies for education grants and we get most of our CEU's free under those grants.

Vent I am aware of many hospitals that pay all renewals, CEU's etc for their nurses. So why should we in EMS not be allowed the same incentives?

My service applies for education grants and we get most of our CEU's free under those grants.

Not all hospitals pay for all CEUs. Many EMS providers do pay for CEUs. Maybe before accepting a job one should check out the benefits. If they are not happy with them, they can find another employer. No one forced one to enter this profession not is one forced to work for an employer they feel is treating them unfairly.

Now for the hospitals, some those that had generous benefits for education have taken that "perk" away this year due to financial problems. If it keeps the hospital from closing, that is a small contribution from the employee. Some professionals may need over 150 CEUs to maintain their licenses and certs. This may not include ACLS, PALS and NRP. That is also considerably more than the Paramedic.

spenac, if I remember correctly you are in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes hospitals have to add CEUs to their benefits to attract employees or to keep each licensed employee from racking up several thousands of dollars each license period for travel expenses to CEUs.

Now for those of you who believe you have "free" benefits from your service when you work for a county or city service, you are still paying but indirectly. The costs for all the "freebies" are trickled down to the tax payer. The FDs here in Florida generally pay for all the CEUs and that is a huge part of their budget. So yes, the taxpayers do pay for their education and not necessarily the employer.

Edited by VentMedic

Now for those of you who believe you have "free" benefits from your service when you work for a county or city service, you are still paying but indirectly. The costs for all the "freebies" are trickled down to the tax payer. The FDs here in Florida generally pay for all the CEUs and that is a huge part of their budget. So yes, the taxpayers do pay for their education and not necessarily the employer.

Agreed, my point is that it isn't costing me directly, so a huge thanks to my taxpayers for the education. I do however believe that as a professional, it is our own responsibility to track and keep up with our own licensure with or without the benefits that come from your employer.

Yeah ...great topic I picked...it is great to hear many others having the same problem as me with all these rising costs and more requirments coming down the line.

I mean look at the required NIMS programs we have to take (online and on our own time) for what? Homeland security training and incident command...come on people I should tax the goverment for the hours I spent online taking these useless programs.

It would be better to have them as a seminar that the goverment pays you to go to (airfare/hotel/food). When I was in the military all this was paid..we are also essential elements of Homeland Security and Safety..the goverment needs to get a handle on this to help the blue collar workers in emergency services.

I mean I got into EMS 20years ago and have been paying since..I DO Love my job but when I saw the front page of todays paper and they listed the NEW State Budget listing the price as of Oct 1st I went wild. Enough is enough...I an NOT required to keep my registry and do it on my own in case someday I move but thats the only reason for me to keep that.

Our service pays for the required OSHA training like bloodbourne and stuff but thats it. Everything else to maintain my job comes from me...and you all know how crappy pay is.

I just wanted to vent and feel better that I am not the only one going broke in EMS.

We went from 75/yr to 150/yr with no warning. This all starts in 7days...we found out by reading the newspaper.

Edited by Medic One

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.