Just a EMT

azemtjunkie79

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just shows their little umm err never mind...... But I agree with Joesph some people have to fill in their own incompentencies with belittling others and making them selves look big. A lack of self confidence might come into play also so just ignore the negitive and do the best job you can do. When all is said and done that is what people are going to remember is what you did not what was said about you.

Edited by itku2er

I myself refer to my certification as "just an EMT basic." People at work have caught the "just" and try to give a positive outlook on being a basic. To me I see it as avoiding to get a complex. But how would someone react if you called them "just a 'medic?" I'm not saying try tit for tat. You gotta see it as yeah you are "just a basic" nothing more and nothing less. As am I. How long have you been a basic?

But how would someone react if you called them "just a 'medic?"

But that is not uncommon to hear or to even sometimes say about yourself once you know the hierarchy that exists in medicine or know your own limitations for education and protocols. You have to feel comfortable with the title you have or work to change something. That could be either getting a higher title through education or enough education to understand why you are "just an EMT" or "just a medic". Actually there are probably times when the medic may hear it more from their superiors when they are questioned why they did something or when they want to do something that is a little outside of the usual protocols. That just comes as more responsibility is added with the title and expectations can vary from those who are critiquing your work. If you are not comfortable enough to explain your actions or give the wrong impression for your reasons, you will be an easy mark for a comment such as that. It happens everyday in the world of medicine which is why other professions have continued to gain education and raise their standards.

Whether or not we think this kid deserves the title "just an EMT" or not, there's no reason to be dressed down in public. A paramedic working with a basic, I think we'd all agree, has a supervisory relationship with that basic. Correcting employees in private, and not in front of peers or the public, is management 101.

Correcting employees in private, and not in front of peers or the public, is management 101.

He is not management. Neither are the doctors, nurses, patients, their families or anyone else that you come into contact with in healthcare. In the very short EMT or Paramedic courses there are no management classes required.

Part of being a professional is being comfortable with who you are and your job title. You are also dealing with human beings under stressful situations both as patients and providers. It you do something to add more stress to the situation, you may have to expect to take a few remarks. When it comes from your medic partner it might prevent you from looking like a fool when a doctor or nurse has to correct you or snap back when you overstep your bounds. Those that complain may not see themselves as others see them. We are also only hearing one side of the story.

Edited by VentMedic

I am just a medic.. and believe me, I appreciate my limitations on just about every call. The fact is that of all of the health care professionals those of us in EMS have an extremely limited scope that covers the life threats and emergent conditions we need to treat. We know very little medicine. There are other aspects to the job - tons of them as a matter of fact - that are pretty darn important. We have to know how to handle difficult situations out there in the field when people are not at their best. Problem solving ability is critical. (Exactly how do we get this spine injured individual out from under the ATV and up the 40 degree slope?). There is a profound lack of appreciation in ERs by people that have never been out there in the field of the skill set and personal qualities required of the EMS professional.

I am just a medic when it comes to the medicine - but I am damn proud of what I do and how I do it. Drop the defensiveness - try to work out the issue with your partner. If you two are not getting along, it will definitely impact patient care and affect your abilities. Pretty hard to focus on your patient when you are fuming over a perceived slight from your partner.

Good luck to you.

There is a profound lack of appreciation in ERs by people that have never been out there in the field of the skill set and personal qualities required of the EMS professional.

True. But how many EMS providers have been at the bedsides of two critical patients all night? However many have had to do dressing changes on wound or burn patients that you are unable to medicate down fully? How many times in one shift have EMT(P)s had to pull the plug on a baby's life support machine, comfort the family and do all the preparation of the baby for the ME? How many times have EMT(P)s been present when the person from that ATV accident is told they will never walk again? Watch them go through rehab? Drag their vent around on a wheelchair?

There are a lot of healthcare profeessionals out there that don't get the recognition or respect their deserve. Most will never see a TV show or movie glamourizing their profession. A movie about OT or SLP? Not! But have many shows do we have right now good or bad showing EMT(P)s?

It is really a good thing some in EMS don't have to deal with the many different healthcare professionals, managers, patients and their families that other healthcare professionals must and usually all at the same time. Yeah, and they still must try to be like a professional or some EMT(P) will get their feelings hurt if the nurse doesn't greet them just like in the movies.

How many EMT-Ps...... comfort the family and do all the preparation of the baby for the ME?

I have... and it was an honor and probably one of the most profound things I have been privileged to be a part of. Your point is well taken. I only mention it because of the problems that ignorance of each other's realities only makes things worse, not better. I spent 1200 clinical hours in an ER, about 50 in ICU, 50 in OB/GYN, etc. I am NOT a nurse, but I have exposure to the environment and at least grasp the outlines of the challenges. On the other hand, I have had doctors holler at me for not getting a BGL on a full code patient that I worked all the way into the ED with only an EMT to help me. I have had nurses holler at me for not getting an IV in a brittle diabetic with a 2 minute transport time - I have had ED nurses pull out an I/O from a 2 1/2 week old preemie that I resuscitated in the field because it was "brutal" then spend 45 minutes trying to get a line on the kid.

None of those people have ever ridden on a high volume ambulance like I do... average 20 calls on a 48 hour shift. It would help... it really would.

None of those people have ever ridden on a high volume ambulance like I do... average 20 calls on a 48 hour shift. It would help... it really would.

No, but most ED RNs will see 20 patients in a 12 hour shift easily. You only got yelled at for one thing. Imagine working with doctors who will nit pick at the nurses for 12 hours on all of the patients. Imagine 3 patients all needing IVs and meds given at the same time ordered by the same doctor who is yelling for it to be done yesterday. Imagine ambulances coming in and your hallways are full and the rules have changed to where your ED can't divert. Imagine then also taking crap but some EMT(P) who is in a bad mood because they got pulled away from their easy chair. Our ED RNs will also work at least 3 codes during that 12 hours. We may get 8 codes in one shift with the same nurses but the patients brought in by different EMS trucks. Each of which will then hang out in the ED for an hour and talk about how bad that one code was.

I thought I had it bad working on a busy rescue in a city with 26 calls in 24 hours but then I went to work in a busy hospital and saw just how good I had it with one patient at a time and being able to pack up my stuff and leave once my obligations to the patient were over. However, now that I have acquired respect for all the many professions that make up a healthcare system, I realize that EMS is just one part and although important, others are also.

Working busy 48 hours shifts is horrible. If it interferes with patient care, it should be addressed. However, the 24 and 48 hour shifts are one of the perks of EMS and the FDs. If some had to go to a 40 hour work week, there would probably be only half of the employees remaining.

If you want to also toss hits at mishaps and stupid incidents done by health care providers, I also work now in the ED and see how some in EMS bring their patients in. Honestly a cab would have been better since there was little to no care done even on some of the sicker patients. Worst yet I see how the NH or routine transfers are delivered. UPS takes better care of their packages than some EMT(P)s. I also was a field supervisor for EMS at one time. Between the fender benders or rollovers with the ambulances, tickets from LEOs, patient complaints and settling fights when in ED when someone felt a doctor didn't respect them, it was not a rewarding job.

Yeah there horrible people that don't belong in any healthcare profession. But until you stick around in an area to actually know all the players, you truly may not know anything about their jobs. I bet some of the EMT(P)s on this forum can not name 5 healthcare professionals and their education requirements. Yet, they will cry foul when someone don't know the difference between an EMT-A-B-C-D-IV-I-P or whatever. Actually other healthcare professionals over estimate the amount of education most EMS providers have. Many believe Paramedics couldn't possibly be doing what they do without some college.