Angry

EMS49393

The bottom line is that they delayed timely care because they are selfish. It's a PUM, I'm disposable, and the relationship with the fire department is not. There is no corporate compliance to complain to, but thanks for the thought. These folks rely on us, and their actions were simply inexcusable. There is no perfect job, no perfect community, no perfect relationships. I just needed to blow off some steam and I figured this is a healthier avenue than starting a crack habit.

The FD you respond with may not be the best or have great manners but that doesn't mean all FDs are the same.

The PUM was developed to provide the highest level of care possible to the community and for the government to oversee that some quality is maintained to the community's expectations. There should be a Board as well as an advisory committee that might be interested in what you have to say.

While there are good points and some bad points to a PUM, in most cases it brings ALS and Paramedics to the people. Be thankful for that. There are still too many in EMS that don't appreciate ALS and will continue to argue that BLS is good enough for their community just to justify being an EMT with not intentions of advancing. And, I do hate using the term BLS and ALS.

You are a Paramedic also regardless of what paperwork the FD must also do with their response or how the agreement within your PUM is setup. Just see that the patient gets taken care of and don't get caught up in petty "us against them" crap. It will only distract from the issue of patient care and if you wear your emotions on your sleeve, you will look worst to the public than the FFs. You could also be up against an all volunteer service doing another job during the day instead of getting paid to do what I hope you enjoy doing.

I would take a little more credence in anonymous attacks.

Okay, I really don't know if people are not bothering to read my entire post or being deliberately obtuse and antagonistic. I thought it was pretty clear. I don't give credence to anonymous complaints in that I will not accept them as true and discipline an employee based on them alone. I thought that was pretty clear in my second paragraph. I look into them, I'll review the applicable video if it exists. (my units have patient and dash cams) I ask about them, and if the employee fesses up, then I act on it. But I will not ever put a black mark on an employee`s record simply because some ex girlfriend is trying to start some trouble to make his life difficult.

Okay, I really don't know if people are not bothering to read my entire post or being deliberately obtuse and antagonistic. I thought it was pretty clear. I don't give credence to anonymous complaints in that I will not accept them as true and discipline an employee based on them alone. I thought that was pretty clear in my second paragraph. I look into them, I'll review the applicable video if it exists. (my units have patient and dash cams) I ask about them, and if the employee fesses up, then I act on it. But I will not ever put a black mark on an employee`s record simply because some ex girlfriend is trying to start some trouble to make his life difficult.

Obtuse and antagonistic?..... Are you talking about me again? :P

As I pointed out, you contradicted yourself(or apparently wasn't entirely clear) in your post. Your position was NOT clear on the subject, but I apologize if I mischaracterized your opinions. Anyway-

I don't think anyone suggests disciplinary action based on an anonymous complaint alone is a good idea. Investigate, get corroborative evidence, make a decision whether or not the complaint is valid, and then decide how to proceed. Like I said, in many cases of public corruption, because of the ingrained culture, an anonymous tip may be the only way someone is willing to blow the whistle on a problem. Fear of retribution and/or retaliation is a very real problem.

There is a reason why whistleblower hotlines and anonymous tip lines have become more common these days.

I just don't see where the big problem is in this situation.

The engine could have shut down for a safety issue to secure equipment.

The engine didn't lag behind behind the ambulance and they also knew the ambulance had at least one Paramedic who would also be the one transporting the patient if required. Its not like the patient lacked in care on scene.

Of course if the arrival time for both were out of the specified limits, then there could be an issue.

Some agencies do require paper work with at least a name if not canceled prior to arrival. The OP didn't respond to what the arrangement is for cancelation of services.

The communication between the ambulance and FD as presented here is a little sketchy.

The burden of proof might lie with you if accusing the Engine Paramedics of failing to act where it endangered the patient. You would also have to be certain that engine didn't stop for a legitimate reason that you could not see from your perspective. You may have to also show it was their intent to avoid patient care that led to harm being done. But then if you were the first Paramedic on scene that may nat play well towards your own abilities unless your response time was acceptable for the transporting ambulance and the FR engine's was not.

The OP also has not made any effort to leave a paper trail.

But, as she puts it this is a rant.

Rants in the media will only make it look like a personal issue if not effort has been made to go through the chain of command.

We also have had issues with the private ambulance service that used to do the FD transports. Essentially they lagged behind even after arrival to let the fire guys handle it. We solved that problem by getting trucks capable of transporting our own patients and let the private ambulance just do "BLS" calls. We had the documentatiom to back up our complaints against them and when it did go to the media, the FD was ready. The same goes for hospitals and NHs that are unhappy with the service from the privates. They document and when contract negotiations come around, they are ready. In some areas this is very competitive business and few private ambulances can afford to lose the big contracts.

Pick your battles wisely and don't just let your dislike for the FD or the us vs them thing cloud your judgement.

If it concerns an issue that relates directly to a patient where their actions caused harm, a report should have been made and presented to your supervisors. An anonymous letter to a newspaper may not benefit anyone especially that patient.