What motivates someone to be an EMT?

I've always been interested in medicine and started reading medical encyclopedias at 12. It took me a long time and a lot of research to decide where to go with it. I'm one of those people that thrives on high speed and high stress, so EMT is just a natural fit. At first I thought I'd be perfectly happy working as a tech in an ER till I finish my paramedic and can get a paid job with the city. Our EMT-B's, EMT-I's(who run as medics), and inexperienced EMT-P's are all volunteer. So I'm going to do my two year stint as an EMT-I while I finish school and go straight to paid when I get out. Anywho, now that I've done three ambulance shifts it's like crack and being a hospital tech for two years is going to be trying but worth it. My ambulance shifts were the slowest on Earth(the call me the white cloud because calls grind to a halt when I show up) but the few we've gotten have made up for the hours of nothing going on. It's not for everyone though. Some of what you see would make other people hit the floor. You've got to have a strong stomach, even stronger backbone(to stand up for your patients), a lot of patience, and a different mindset than most.

Why am I going to go into this crazy world of EMS starting this fall? I wonder sometimes.

Yes I think that we all are a little crazy. I think one of the big reasons for me is that I would like to give back to this community. Yes I know that is what everyone say's. I also enjoy helping people. I am starting my training this fall at Mercy College of Health Sciences this fall. My grandfather is a semi-retired Cardiologist and I think that influenced me some as well. I am very excited to start.

In my research to decide if EMS is the right move for me, I keep running up against a question in my head that I would like an answer to from people who are in the industry. With the low pay, the thanklessness, the stresses of the job etc, what are the positives that overcome those very big drawbacks to being an EMT?

I guess from where I'm sitting, a person with no special training and a high school diploma could get a job as a data entry clerk where I am in Boston and make more money, be in a climate controlled environment for 8 hours a day and go home with little , if any ,stress...so what exactly would motivate someone to forgo that option and take a job working EMS?

I'm sure there are positives to the EMT job, and I'd love to hear about those as hearing about the negatives seems to be what is talked about more frequently.

Thanks.

I totally agree about the pay. You cannot get another job that pays this amount, with the same education level. I have been an E.M.T. for 13 years..worked private, hospital and industrial. The private sector paid the least, but had much more O.T. I realized that I needed a little chaos in my life. If I didn't get it at work, I created it in my relationships, which wasn't healthy. I learned to direct that energy into being a medic. It HAS got to be a calling to help others, or you will become bitter and resentful. There are a FEW calls that make it all worth it..the rare "save", delivering a baby, the occasional sincere "thank you" from a patient or family member. These moments can carry you from 6 months to a year. Then the trauma's and bad pediatric calls will mount up and you will question why you ever got into this. I lasted on the street for 4 years, then I went into industrial work. It is hard to raise a family on this income. Most medics have to work a lot of O.T. or another job. However, I have never found a more rewarding job. I worked in a high crime and welfare community, so I burned out quicker than my coworkers, who did mostly transfers. It certainly takes a special kind of person. If you remain focused on the good outcomes (few and far between) and the fact that you ARE helping others, if even just to comfort and console, then you will do well. There are things we all settle for in life. Some people settle for a job that they hate, for good money. Then others, like medics, settle for a lower paying job that comforts the soul, if you allow it. It is a truly personal choice. I don't regret any of my time in the street, yet I wouldn't go back. It is a job for the young at heart and soul and most importantly, a healthy back ;)

post-23120-1247496152_thumb.jpg

Such as janitor, carpenter, plumber, teacher, financial adviser, lawyer,...whoa...almost every career!!

You should see the work bench I built in my workshop. Though, I did learn which side of the mark to saw on. :shiftyninja: Never wanted to be any of those; so to each their own. Actually, I usually ignore questions like this, and avoid them in person. I have no answer. It's just something that I enjoy doing, I like some of the boring calls as much as I do the action packed. Though, the more exciting, the worse it is for the victim, so don't show your excitement too much.

Edited by 4c6

And to help you understand why you hear only negative, we have a running joke in this industry: Whats the difference between a Paramedic and a puppy ?

The puppy quits whining after 6 weeks.

I love that one.

Why be an EMT well on a call a couple a yrs back a 7 yr old gun shot victim looked up at me and asked if she was going to die as strange as that sounds I cant imagine doing anything else.

And if your going carrier I'd go Paramedic. And just so people know its still me " Vollies rule paid drool)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.