Ambulance Service In So California

Hi guys I’m looking for some advice I’m going to be moving to eastern part of riverside County and I’m just wondering if anyone knows anything about AMR the Hemet Division and if there hiring at all and if you get to work with a medic or do you just do transfers. Also West Shore Ambulance service out in Imperial County, CA looks like an interesting place to work I just don’t know anything about this service. Do they run 911 or do transfers? Also does anyone know if there hiring I’m looking for a service that I can work at and get better experience to further my career in EMS so far I've Been an EMT-B for 3 Years and working for a service that only run's Transfers. I would go to medic school now but I’m trying to finish my Associates first and I don’t feel ready for medic school yet. I feel I’m lacking experience to even pass medic school and become a great paramedic. Plus the best way I Learn is hands on and seeing it myself .

Any ways

thanks for any advice you guys can give me

I hope the degree you are working on is a Nursing degree, and not a paramedic degree. Because, unless you intend to be a fireman, there really is no career to further as an EMS medic in So Cal. It's a total dead end, with zero career options.

Riverside AMR runs both Basic/Medic trucks and Basic/Basic trucks. With experience, and being a medic student, you'll probably get on a 911 Medic truck in a reasonable period of time, although at least half of your runs will still be transfers. And the 911 runs you make will mostly be just transporting for the fire medics, who did everything before you even arrived. We have at least two medics here with recent Riverside AMR experience, so hopefully one of them will chime in with more and better info for you.

The good news about AMR there is that they run a medic school, so as an employee, you can get that for free. The bad news is that -- despite the valiant efforts of a couple knowledgeable instructors -- the school sucks, often producing poorly educated, functionally illiterate medics. But hey, when all you're doing is playing clean-up to the fire medics, how good do your medics have to be, right?

The good news about AMR there is that they run a medic school, so as an employee, you can get that for free. The bad news is that -- despite the valiant efforts of a couple knowledgeable instructors -- the school sucks, often producing poorly educated, functionally illiterate medics. But hey, when all you're doing is playing clean-up to the fire medics, how good do your medics have to be, right?

Who told you it was free? You pay for it... if you pass they will reimburse you with $150 checks a month for the next 12 years, until you are even. Or they will just tell you we don't have any documentation actually proving that you were in the class. By the time you come up with the evidence, the instructor of the program as well as the current managers at AMR will have had 2 generations of turnover, and they won't believe you. But yeah... it's great. But maybe that's just how AMR North-East works.

Hi guys I’m looking for some advice I’m going to be moving to eastern part of riverside County and I’m just wondering if anyone knows anything about AMR the Hemet Division and if there hiring at all and if you get to work with a medic or do you just do transfers. Also West Shore Ambulance service out in Imperial County, CA looks like an interesting place to work I just don’t know anything about this service. Do they run 911 or do transfers? Also does anyone know if there hiring I’m looking for a service that I can work at and get better experience to further my career in EMS so far I've Been an EMT-B for 3 Years and working for a service that only run's Transfers. I would go to medic school now but I’m trying to finish my Associates first and I don’t feel ready for medic school yet. I feel I’m lacking experience to even pass medic school and become a great paramedic. Plus the best way I Learn is hands on and seeing it myself .

Any ways

thanks for any advice you guys can give me

First off, welcome to SoCal. I am actually work in SoCal and getting outta here faster than you can blink. Not trying to discourage you, but like one mentioned before....the opportunities for a medic are a dead end. Im gearing myself for a career in Law Enforcement, not being a Firefigher, so thats outta the question. Moving to the Inland Empire, I would have to say that AMR Riverside and AMR San Bernardino offer the 911 for both counties. Both do run dual medic and one on one rigs. Moving up into Orange County, you have a few contract 911 such as Doctors Ambulance and Medix, but the primary BLS is CARE Ambulance. They run with LA County Fire along with some Orange County Fire Departments. LA County is just ridiculous when it comes to EMS.....it plain sucks. If you want to work in LA County my only option for you is to work for McCormick Ambulance. They run the 911 with LA County Fire and are based out of Hawthorne. Everything else in LA County is handled by LA City Fire with there own RAs doing transports. If you are looking for a transfer company, a great company to look at is Bowers Ambulance. They have stations in LA County, Orange County and San Diego County. They do BLS, ALS and CCT Transports along with emergenct IFTs as well. You honestly get a variety of calls with Bowers. Good Management, new rigs, great crews, and plenty of OT when that door is open. Good luck with your move.

Thanks for the replies so far I’m actually moving to eastern riverside county from San Diego County I’m so tired of san Diego’s EMS system. I’m also working for pacific Ambulance of which all we do is transfers and I’m tired of it. Also I plan on leaving California myself and move to Oregon in a year or so. But right now in Oregon there seems to be no one hiring for EMS. I’m looking for some were I can work and run more 911 calls and get better experience.

Any ways does anyone know anything about West Shore Ambulance service the only thing I know about them is that they are in Imperial County, CA and respond to Ocotillo Wells for accidents out in the desert.

Thanks

Well I moved to Hemet in Riverside County now I just need to get a job up here so I don’t have to commute to San Diego. Thanks for your replies in the post before. Anyways I saw CRA Ambulance & Mission Ambulance yesterday and was wondering if anybody knew anything about them because I never had heard of them before.

As always Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.