Interesting Full Arrest Call

Congrats on the save. Unfortunately, the ones who return with no deficits and survive to discharge are indeed rare. I've had a few.

One in particular was interesting. A guy- about 50 years old, found on all fours on the sidewalk, unable to stand, and slightly confused, c/o SOB- no pain. Turns out, he was on his way from his MD to get an MRI for some back related problem and became too weak to walk. The first responder fire company thought the guy was a drunk and essentially did nothing but wait for us to arrive. Looking at the guy as we approached, something did not add up- it was one of those gut feelings.

Turns out, he was bradycardic, and hypotensive. We started ALS. We were essentially a block or so from the ER and gave them a quick heads up we were on the way. The doc on the radio just happened to be our medical director, and advised us to treat as much as possible enroute. I agreed- we were literally on the property of a Level One Trauma center- silly to screw around if not necessary. WIthin seconds- before I could even give any meds, he bradyed down, went into V-tach, and arrested. I notified my partner what happened with a very loud "Aw sh*t!" and told him to hurry around the block. I was on my own because the first responder had already left, my partner was already behind the wheel, so I slapped the pads on him, and defibbed x's 2. By the time we hit the ER, the guy was awake, asking me what was going on, asking what horse kicked him in the chest. I briefly explained what happened as we rolled into the ER, and his eyes got as big as saucers. He shook my hand and we turned over care. I pulled the doc aside, told him I decided to ignore his medical orders and said I would await my suspension. I then showed him the EKG strip and he laughed. I insisted on taking a day off, but he declined to give it to me.

The resusitation room was also full of observers- wide eyed, fresh med students, paramedic students, and nursing students. My partner and I shrugged as we left, and he told them it was no biggie- this stuff happens every day. I had everything I could do to keep from a belly laugh. The doc rolled his eyes and threw something at us as we left. I know a bunch of copies of that EKG were made and are probably still making the rounds in education circles. I later learned the guy had an ablation procedure and was fine- no deficits, no muscle damage.

Calls like that are indeed rare and great fun. They make up for all the ones we don't save and all the BS we put up with.

Edited by HERBIE1

2 1/2 week old infant (born 5 1/2 preterm) in full arrest, delivered to the hospital crying his head off - stabilized and released 2 days later with no deficits. I will put up with 5 years of crap for that one.

When I was doing my ED observation time during my EMT class I recall one patient an BLS crew brought in, no monitor, no IV, no real reason for them to call a medic either. The patient wasn't complaining of any chest pain or shortness of breath, but I don't remember what his complaint was.

While the ED staff was hooking up the ECG the patient started complaining of chest pain, got real pale and sweaty. The medic hooking him up finished, started yelling "Paddles! Paddles!" The guy was in v-fib arrest, one shock at 200J later, and he was awake again, this time complaining of 10/10 chest pain, but in normal sinus rhythm, and getting appropriate treatment.