Looking for an article on dyscalculia

Jeepluv77

I am looking for information on a disorder called dyscalculia. I tried google and google scholar and couldn't find anything reliable that didn't cost $30 to read. If anyone has heard of this disorder or knows where I can find information, that would be great.

Thank you! All of them I found wanted money just to read them. I'm still getting used to this whole technology thing. ;)

Still helps though. I'm just trying to find out everything I can about it, even though I know to take wikipedia with a grain of salt, or maybe even a bucket in some cases.

Edited by Jeepluv77

Actually, VentMedic, that looks like it's the best of all so far. I'll have to dig through it a bit, but rather than just info it appears to have resources, too. Thanks!

Between Dyscalculia and problems with short-term auditory memory, I had teachers who didn't think I'd make it through high school. Contributed to losing a scholarship when I got to college.

Definitely isn't fun. Many of the symptoms listed on Wikipedia are spot-on for me.

Same here, CBEMT. I mentioned to my doctor that I was having some real trouble with my med math and I have to recheck it several times for accuracy. He asked how I'd done in school and I told him I'd always aced everything but algebra. I took algebra 1 twice and finally passed the second time with a D. I never a full geometry or statistics course but the parts included with the algebra 1 were easy. English, science, civics, you name I could do it with my eyes closed. But with algebra it just never stuck. Anyway, he wanted to have me worked up for dyscalculia but I want to look into it first. I can learn it eventually. It just takes me a lot longer than my peers. I usually have to find a different way to do it than what is considered "normal". I can't really explain it, but I have my own system that I generally use to. It makes no sense to anyone else, yet I always arrive at the right answer. I use more logic than anything else. But this means that I have to understand how it works first. And, yes, I was one of those kids that was always asking why. It took me two months to learn med math and now I find out that there are situations that include a % solution and now my brain is about to explode. We never went over these and after hours of re-reading the same chapter I'm no closer to getting it. Hence the fact that I'm finally starting to consider there may be something there with the dyscalculia. At first I just blew it off but maybe I can find some info to help me figure this out. I don't want to kill any patients and I know I'll get it with practice but right now I can't even figure out what to practice. I noticed it said difficult with differentiating direction which I've always had too. My mom's the same way. We have to make the "L" hands to figure out right and left; even though I know the sun rises in the east I still have trouble figuring out north, south and west around my house; if I travel somewhere I've never been I have to have return directions because I get confused if I just try to reverse the directions I used to get there. It's frustrating because I know I'm not dumb. I got a 95 on the ASVAB and I'm holding a 3.665 in my courses right now.