Having "IT"

How does one figure out if they have "it?" Do you even believe in the concept or can hard work and commitment yield all necessary results? Anecdotes?

I don't believe in the "it" concept. I believe in education, hard work, and commitment. There will always be those with more of an aptitude than others but those same people would also be good at a lot of other things. In high school I was one of those kids who just rolled through getting A's and B's without having to work for them. I was accepted to the top engineering school in the province directly out of high school. I didn't continue with engineering because the more I found out about the actual job the more I hated it. I clearly had an aptitude for engineering but it just wasn't for me over the long run. Now I work in EMS which at first glance has not relation to engineering whatsoever. Or does it?

My clear understanding of concepts like vectors, momentum, acceleration, kinetic energy, and force has been incredibly valuable to me. The ability to visualize objects in three dimensions has also served me extremely well. When I think of a 12 lead I don't think of squiggles on a page. I can actually picture what those squiggles represent in action. These are all skills typically associated with jobs outside of EMS yet they serve me well. By the same token other skills typically associated with EMS took me some time to learn and I'm still learning every chance I get.

The point is that "it" doesn't exist. What does exist is using the gifts you have and busting your rear to learn the rest.

I just got done taking care of a guy who had "IT" and we gave him a penicillin shot and also some oral antibiotics.

Other than that I don't think I want to catch "IT"

I have "IT". I tried to fight "IT" for a long time because I didn't think I was strong enough mentally for what I know I'm going to see in this profession, but I kept getting pulled back to emergency medicine. I don't know yet if pre-hospital is my place or in the ER. Personally, I'm hoping both. But I have a naturally ability to understand what I'm learning in school(for the most part. of course i need clarification every now and again) and I need a fast paced, high stress environment to keep from getting bored. I do think, however, that no matter how much "IT" you have, hard work and commitment is still necessary. You owe it to your pts to be the best provider you can be. Not to just be good enough to pass with minimal effort. I'm so sick of hearing people say "As long as we pass that's all that matters." It terrifies me that one day I might have a mediocre medic working on me because they just needed to pass, not excel. These are the ones that no matter how much "IT" they have, they need to find a new line of work.

Edited by Jeepluv77

I don't believe in the "it" concept. I believe in education, hard work, and commitment. The point is that "it" doesn't exist. What does exist is using the gifts you have and busting your rear to learn the rest.

I would disagree. I am very aware of two college degreed licensed Paramedics that have ever credential they can attain as related to EMS. They attend every type of training they can find. They ask for opinions on every call they run. They strive for improvement. Guess what? They are the worst Paramedics in the field despite years in the field. They have been removed from almost every service in Texas it seems. They can not take the education and apply it in the field. So they do not have "it". If you are new and don't seem to have "it", give it some time. If after a couple of years you still don't have "it", find a new profession. This happens in every profession some just can not get "it" no matter how much effort they put in. Just like me I could attend the best vocal schools and I still would not be able to sing where anyone would want to listen, heck not even the head banging screaming that some call music would not work, so I do not have "it" as to singing.

I would disagree. I am very aware of two college degreed licensed Paramedics that have ever credential they can attain as related to EMS. They attend every type of training they can find. They ask for opinions on every call they run. They strive for improvement. Guess what? They are the worst Paramedics in the field despite years in the field. They have been removed from almost every service in Texas it seems. They can not take the education and apply it in the field. So they do not have "it". If you are new and don't seem to have "it", give it some time. If after a couple of years you still don't have "it", find a new profession. This happens in every profession some just can not get "it" no matter how much effort they put in. Just like me I could attend the best vocal schools and I still would not be able to sing where anyone would want to listen, heck not even the head banging screaming that some call music would not work, so I do not have "it" as to singing.

You make a very good point Spenac. I've worked with a few of these types myself. These people absolutely bust their rear and still barely scrape through practical exams and the actual application of skills. I remember one partner who could tell you every part of the heart, recite every protocol by wrote etc., and yet she was incapable of performing a competent assessment or actually using a protocol correctly. This particular individual actually has a Bachelor's degree in BIOLOGY and has been working on ambulance for 8 years.

I think it's important to add the caveat that at least some of your particular gifts should be applicable to your chosen profession. With regards to EMS, the ability to "Think on your feet" would be high on the list of important skills to either have or at least be able to develop.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.