EKGs for EMT-Bs

Hey guys and gals,

I'm only an EMT, and call me a freak, but I've always been pretty fascinated by the EKGs. Whenever I see the medics do them, I've always thought it was pretty cool. Anyway, because of my curiosity about them, I've tried looking for sources to learn more, but most of the stuff I've found has me in way over my head. I have trouble understanding a lot of it. Do any of you know of any good resources that can give me a basic understanding of EKG interpretation, and also placement of the leads? I really need something that explains it like you would to a 5 year old, lol

Many thanks,

Start with an A/P class that has a module on the cardiovasuclar system. Without that solid foundation the rest doesn't help much.

Agreed. 12 leads were a bitch for me until I started thinking about them in terms of cardiac physiology. I'm not great at remembering rules, so having a conceptual understanding was the lynch pin.

Learning it piecemeal through a book or two is probably not the best way to approach this as you'll be looking at ECG in exclusion to the bigger picture. It's great that you want to further your understanding though. I'd suggest Paramedic school is your best bet, starting with, as AKroeze suggested, either a program that includes full credits in A/P or taking these courses at college prior to the program.

Get Lippincott's ECG Interpretation (a little brown book) from thier nursing series; it covers cardiac A&P, electrophysiology and 12 lead ECGs. Although 12 leads ARE more complex than a 3 lead I found it you learn 12 leads right off the bat that you don't have to learn 3, 4 or 5 leads seperatly as the same principles apply.

Get registered sex offender Dale Dubins book on EKG. Will give you the best understanding. You really do need A&P though to fully grasp what you are seeing.

One could also pick up a copy of Nancy Caroline's Paramedic textbook and read the adventures of Sidney Sinus and Abe AV Nodes. Although that might be more like 5th or 6th grade level as opposed to that of a 5 y/o.

Or, you could just memorize the pretty pictures of the squiggly lines.

BTW, Dubin's hobby was "photography".

I agree with you, docharris and fiznat, if Tristan is trying to learn 12. If you just want a basic understanding of 3 lead, get ECGs Made Easy by Barbara Aehlert. It gives you some foundation in a&p and electrophysiology, q&a and crossword puzzles reviews after each chapter, introduction to 12-lead without getting so in-depth it makes your head spin, a post-test, a cd, and a pocket guide. It helped me out alot.

One could also pick up a copy of Nancy Caroline's Paramedic textbook and read the adventures of Sidney Sinus and Abe AV Nodes. Although that might be more like 5th or 6th grade level as opposed to that of a 5 y/o.

Or, you could just memorize the pretty pictures of the squiggly lines.

BTW, Dubin's hobby was "photography".

Just like the doctors, nurses, and all professions books of easy reader levels are available. When used right in combination nothing wrong with using them to make sure you get the point.

"Photography" and he always got signed statements that they were 18. :ph34r:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.