Car Seat Installation Assistance

Jeepluv77

An article I read on here a few minutes ago made me curious. Does the area you live in offer assistance with car safety seat installation and, if so, how? Also, when the seat is installed are there any questions asked as to where the seat came from or instructions on how to use it properly offered?

Here, every fire department offers help with assuring that safety seats are properly installed. I actually take mine to a fire station because my Jeep's seats are very "squishy" and at 100 pounds I'm no where near big enough to get it in tight enough. It actually takes 2-3 guys to do it(don't worry, I call ahead). They always ask if I myself purchased it and if it's ever been involved in an accident and if these answers are not satisfactory they tell you to buy a new one and outline why. However, not once have I ever been given tips for proper use. Most parents don't realize why it is vital to make sure that the chest buckle is between the shoulders or as close as possible. I hate seeing kids with that buckle across their abdomen. That's an ejection or severe internal injuries just waiting to happen. Please, if you do these installations make sure the parents are aware that the chest buckle should never be over a childs abdomen along with all the other safety precautions(forward vs backwards facing, shoulder straps in the right slots for childs height, etc.). If the parents don't have the manual for their seat this can usually be found on the manufacturers website.

Here the state troopers are car seat inspection trained and if you look on the highways it's actually advertised at each of the post sites. Also several of the FD and county EMS services are technician trained as well. It's actually mandantory for you to have your seat inspected and properly installed before you go to pick up a newborn from the hospital (though I've rarely seen them ask for the inspection sticker). The trooper posts actually do clinics a couple times a year where they teach you how to properly install one in your seat as well as all the safety aspects. Really great program, wish more states had something similar.

...when the seat is installed are there any questions asked as to where the seat came from or instructions on how to use it properly offered?

Excellent question, as most studies have found 7 out of 10 car seats are incorrectly installed.

Most areas/ states/ otherwise do provide safety seat inspections. People just have to look up where and when.

....Most parents don't realize why it is vital to make sure that the chest buckle is between the shoulders or as close as possible. I hate seeing kids with that buckle across their abdomen...

I think you mean the shoulder strap retainer clip, and it should be at armpit level, basically at nipple level. Checking the tightness is also important, you should be able to barely slide a finger under it. You don't want it so tight it leaves a mark, but not so loose the child can slip out. In cold weather, strap the baby snuggly in, then add blankets on top.

And in your case, even if you weigh little, you should be able to hook your seat in tight enough. Do you get in the seat and put your weight down with your knee??

Scary what you see out there. At one seat inspection, we had a grandma come in with her 3 yr old in an infant seat. And booster seats are way under used.