NBC's new show "TRAUMA"

31 members have voted

1. 1. Based on this teaser trailer, do you get the impression that this will help or hurt the image of EMS?

• Good for EMS image
    • Bad for public image
    • Could be both

I wanna see a combination of Code Blue, Paramedics, Trauma Life in the ER and Cops; all EMS.. No blurring, no censoring.. No I know more than you so let me fix the world medics who narrate everything they do for the camera.. Real fricken action, blood, et al.. That would entertain me. Hollywood, doesn't entertain me.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody remember Lew Ferrigno as a Paramedic/human Jaws Of Life on "Trauma Center"?

Or the Paramedic doing the handstand on top of the paddles of a defib unit in a partially water filled tunnel, as he shocked a patient, in "Rescue 77?"

Or Mark Harmon, before he became an agent of the NCIS, or even a doctor in "Chicago Hope", when, as an L A Sheriff's Deputy/Paramedic, he used the power winch to rip the door off a car in an MVA, pull the woman out of the car, throw her down on a backboard, and then place a C-Collar, and, with no warning to the woman, slid his hand down inside her shirt? At least he was holding a stethoscope, and that show was "240 Robert", and was the premiere episode to the 2 year run of that show.

Of all those shows, I briefly recall Chicago Hope, but that's it.

I wanna see a combination of Code Blue, Paramedics, Trauma Life in the ER and Cops; all EMS.. No blurring, no censoring.. No I know more than you so let me fix the world medics who narrate everything they do for the camera.. Real fricken action, blood, et al.. That would entertain me. Hollywood, doesn't entertain me.

Excellent idea. I'll get right on it. ;)

It looks retarded.

Looks like an EMS version of "LA Firefighters", if you can remember how awful that was.

Have they not figured out that people don't buy it anymore? Medics kneeling over someone telling them to "fight! C'mon, breathe!" Or that nobody can save anyone without deviating from protocol and risking their jobs? Or that they are all some stereotype of either a really normal overworked loving parent or a personality disorder? Folks have seen the real thing on "Trauma: Life in the ER" and "Paramedics" and "Cops" (I say "real thing" with some irony. Plenty of those folks were hamming it up for the camera). When will the studios learn that this overblown tripe pales by comparison? If you want a willing suspension of disbelief, you've got to make it come somewhere near what the audience imagines to be true.

Look at what "Law and Order" and "NYPD Blue" did for cop shows. They did it by ramping DOWN the hyperbole, not ramping it up. That's not to say that they were all that realistic (for some reason, no season of "Homicide" could conclude without a cop being shot), but they made it LOOK realistic.

I don't give it a full season.

'zilla

Looks like an EMS version of "LA Firefighters", if you can remember how awful that was......

Yeah I remember that when I was about 11.... it was bad, like we're talking made you feel sick watching it coz it was soooo cheesy and predictable, oop i just puked in my mouth. :lol:

Edited by kiwimedic

Now you are talking Those were the good old days and shows. The only bad thing about some of the more entertaining shows is that people are like oh wow that looks glamours and I can put up a hot chick or rooster if I have a uniform on. And they try EMS then find out what its really like and one of two things happens they leave disillusioned or they stay and make our lifes miserible cause they are.

Edited by itku2er

Now you are talking Those were the good old days and shows. The only bad thing about some of the more entertaining shows is that people are like oh wow that looks glamours and I can put up a hot chick or rooster if I have a uniform on. And they try EMS then find out what its really like and one of two things happens they leave disillusioned or they stay and make our lifes miserible cause they are.

Exactly. They turn the drama all the way up to 10 and the medicine all the way down to 0 which consistently attracts the wrong type of people to the field. I don't know about everyone else but I have yet to attend a helicopter crash, let alone more than one in a single "episode". What's good for ratings isn't even close to an accurate portrayal of reality.

To whoever made the comment regarding "no sensoring" with Trauma life in the ER - evidently you missed the University of Louisville episode.... They pissed the people off there so bad they threatened to throw them out and not give them the show. Get the hell outta my way was said more than a few times and they just decided to show the fluffy version of it. I can't speak for other locations, but I do know (as does anyone else who's made a room 9 trip) that they aren't the happiest campers around there....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.