NREMT Paramed Drug List?

Yeah maybe your right tskstorm, but he also mentioned home meds which emt's can assit with, I think there are only five meds though. Still makes no sense to me when iam on scene I don't let the emt's do anything but drive, less liability that way.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah maybe your right tskstorm, but he also mentioned home meds which emt's can assit with, I think there are only five meds though. Still makes no sense to me when iam on scene I don't let the emt's do anything but drive, less liability that way.

okie dokies, I think he was saying that perhaps home meds are what his friend didn't understand... no biggie :)

Get your information from the horses mouth. You can download the DOT NSC in PDF format. If the medication is mentioned in the NSC, it would be fair game to potentially answer a question about that medication on the NREMT IBT.

This link would be a good place to start your search:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/ems/EMT...%5B1%5D/1-7.pdf

Take care,

chbare.

I think there were maybe 4-6 questions on my NR that referenced medications, and with one exception the correct answer was always not to use it.

The one medication the test demanded and answer to I'd never heard of...I can't remember now what it was called..and I'd never been exposed to it, but by breaking down the name I was confident of the drug class and only one of the sets of symptoms fit that class.

Time spent worry about drugs on the NR, based on my experience and those of anyone I've ever talked to that took it, is time wasted.

Having said that...you should know your pharmacology inside and out of course to be able to provide competent patient care, just don't worry about it for the NR.

Dwayne

I saw three drugs on the test. Atropine, Narcan and one I'd never heard of and don't remember. None of them were the correct answer.

I saw more questions on the A&P of the cardiovascular system, identification of EKGs, when to defibrilate/cardiovert and trauma than anything.

From talking to others, it seems to be a crap shoot as to what you will get. Some say they get a lot of drug calculation questions. I've heard others say they got a lot of operations questions.

Based on your previous posts and your appearant level of intelligence, I would say that you will probably do just fine. Just take your time and read and re-read each question carefully.

To the op, why do you need to know about any drugs?, just asking because aren't you an emt?. As far as a Iam aware in your area emt's don't need to know anything about drugs even on 911 crews.
At the very least, EMT's should know about the drugs they can administer or assist with.

Examples: O2, NTG, EPI, MDI's/ALB, ASA, Glucose, Charcoal.

In addition to that, it would simply be responsible to learn common home medications that might be regularly encountered.

And if one works with a medic, it seems only logical to at least be familiar with his drugs, since it's your career field.

Still makes no sense to me when iam on scene I don't let the emt's do anything but drive, less liability that way.
Random thing to post . . . regardless, not every EMT will have a medic with them for the entire duration of every call. The "sense" is in being well-educated about your profession and being responsible to your patients. This is pretty much a standard of care (textbooks often make mention of working on becoming familiar with common home meds).

He's probably a paramedic student he did state "someone who went to a different school than me" Plus look a the title line "paramed"
Yup. Was just studying up on drugs for clinicals and figured I might review some for NR (which is still a ways out).

Thanks for the link chbare.

And thanks for the other tips and notes on the NR, everyone else.

Wow the nerve of the new guy calling out one of our longest time members. Anthony you were much more polite than I would have been. I probably would have been banned if the idiot had pulled that crap on me.

I do agree though that know the drugs on the USDOT site and should be good. Also recall what class drugs end with might help decipher what type of drug if you don't recognize the name.

Wow the nerve of the new guy calling out one of our longest time members. Anthony you were much more polite than I would have been. I probably would have been banned if the idiot had pulled that crap on me.

I agree in sorts, but the bottom line is really, Anthony was quite nice about his answer, much nicer than most.