Somebody stole my breath!

You're dispatched to a neighbourhood medical center for an old lady who says somebody stole her breath. Upon arrival you find a police officer standing in the triage bay; he tells you he has not been called to take a theft report and points you to one of the nurses.

One of the nurses leads you to one of the rooms where you find a 75 yof cc sob. Over an hour ago the CNA put her on salbutamol and it's been running ever since because they are busy the CNA was needed elsewhere.

S - SOB, diaphoretic, skin cool/clammy and feels light headed

A - nil

M - atrovent, nadolol and januvia

P - mild asthma, HTN, NIDDM

L - breakfast q 6hr ago

E - nothing remarkable

Vitals

BP 140/90

RR 24 with insp wheeze spO2 95% CR < 2 s.

PR 100

GCS 15

I didn't know there was a machine that would deliver albuterol constantly. If she's been recieving albuterol for an hour straight, the three things I would be concerned about are disrhythmias, bronchiospasm and hypokalemia.

Certainly d/c the albuterol and admin high flow O2. EKG please.

May I have an acucheck done please?

You said there is wheezing. Is it audible or did we listen to breath sounds already with a stethesope?

Well, hypokalemia shows as a flattened T wave. This one is inverted so I'm guessing coronary ischemia. I'm not brilliant with EKGs like some of the folks here, so I'm giving high flow O2, ASA, maybe a nitro, high flow deisel and monitoring for changes.

Also what Gypsy said-let's get a BGL.

Edited by Katiebug

I didn't know there was a machine that would deliver albuterol constantly. If she's been recieving albuterol for an hour straight, the three things I would be concerned about are disrhythmias, bronchiospasm and hypokalemia.

Certainly d/c the albuterol and admin high flow O2. EKG please.

Albuterol can be given continuously for several hours at dosages of 5 - 30 mg/hr and it is usually given by O2 with an aerosol mask considered to be "high flow".

To cause a shift in K+ effectively for a short time, one would have to give a high dose of concentrated albuterol (0.5%) at 15 - 25 mg with a rapid delivery time.

Unfortunately, some (EMS included) believe they can do a continuous Albuterol treatment by just putting several unit doses into a nebulizer that might not be designed for that volume. At the rate of nebulization, the baffles may deliver an inconsistent output of particles size and dose. Thus, as we fondly call it when we see this arrive in the ED, "Sputtering in the Wind".

Are those pacer spikes or huge q waves? Leads I, II, and the rhythm strip at the bottom. Is this the "q wave infarction" I'm not quite clear on yet? And what's the significance of V4, V5, and V6 showing nothing? Are we just missing an electrode? If so, could that be part of the reason for the st deviation in leads I, II, aVr, V2, and V3? Turns out we don't really get into 12 lead much till next semester, so bear with me here.

Are those pacer spikes or huge q waves?

That got me too. I finally decided it was huge q waves. The pacemaker spikes I've seen to date have always gone the same direction as the qrs. Am I off on that?

Edited by Katiebug