New rules on getting your pts tested?

Brady

Today I went on a call where we picked up a pt at their house and took them to the hospital. She was complaining of having a hard time breathing. She had swollen lymph nodes that you could see just by looking at her. She had a fever and a productive cough. Also her son had been diagnosed with mono the day before (and so was she earlier that day, but hers was negative) So we whipped out the masks and wore them. Later we got called to transfer her to a bigger hospital however our unit was out of masks....eww. But the docs assure us we will be ok...Whatever! He doesn't have to sit with her for 45 minutes in the back of the ambo. Anyways we put the o2 mask on her to keep some of it contained. And when we get there the ER said that we aren't allowed to have pts tested anymore for stuff. They said since it rarely got taken advantage of they took the law out. So, I hope this lady didn't have anything too serious because now I'm at home with my hubby and son and don't want to pass anything to them. I think I feel a cough coming on....lol. :P

On an obvious note...the N95 masks should have been stocked at the begining of shift, and when out, get more. That being said...I would doubt the "they can't test for anything anymore," especially if it's a true exposure. However, even at that, for an HIV/AIDS test, they still would need Pt consent OR family OR, if it's resonable, a 2 doctor consent signed. But...if for some reason it is true, then I'm sure it's a local issue only, as things haven't changed in AZ regarding it.

• 2 weeks later...
On an obvious note...the N95 masks should have been stocked at the begining of shift, and when out, get more. That being said...I would doubt the "they can't test for anything anymore," especially if it's a true exposure. However, even at that, for an HIV/AIDS test, they still would need Pt consent OR family OR, if it's resonable, a 2 doctor consent signed. But...if for some reason it is true, then I'm sure it's a local issue only, as things haven't changed in AZ regarding it.

It is a local thing. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. As for the masks there were none to restock our ambo. No one is sick from the call. But I bet if we asked they would have tested her. Its just not law for them to get tested if we ask.

How many do you carry on your Ambulance? It might be time to reevaluate that. We have a full box on the shelves, with the gloves, extra glasses, gowns and disposable coveralls, as well as a few stocked by the suction and in the front for easy access. I've also made it my personal rule to keep a pair of gloves, my safety glasses and an N-95 in my left cargo pocket at all time (luckily I sleep on my right side or front). That way if for whatever reason I need PPE and can't get right to the shelves or the bags I'm set.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.