Eyelash Reflex

fireflymedic

Ok, I don't know where that came from. My age isn't in question here, I have the experience and knowledge. You're statement doesn't really dispute anything I said. I stand by not doing something just because you have seen a more experienced paramedic do it. That more experienced medic may not have read that shoving ammonia inhalants in someone's nares and putting your hand over their mouth, could kill them. Maybe that provider is burnt out, and really shouldn't be doing this job anyhow. Experience is never an excuse to stop educating yourself when it comes to this career.

I do, however, attribute the medic I have become to all the medics I have worked with. Please don't lecture me based on my age, what statement have I made that has called my knowledge into question? As an instructor, I teach people much older than me all of the time, so the age argument is pretty pointless. I've been in the field since I was 18. May not be 20 years, but I have been doing this long enough to know a thing or two about a thing or two. It seems my age is in question a lot, even here on the job. All doubt goes out the window after they run the fist call with me, or ask me a question. That is why I get so defensive about this.

Edited by FL_Medic

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I don't know where that came from. My age isn't in question here, I have the experience and knowledge. You're statement doesn't really dispute anything I said. I stand by not doing something just because you have seen a more experienced paramedic do it. That more experienced medic may not have read that shoving ammonia inhalants in someone's nares and putting your hand over their mouth, could kill them. Maybe that provider is burnt out, and really shouldn't be doing this job anyhow. Experience is never an excuse to stop educating yourself when it comes to this career.

I do, however, attribute the medic I have become to all the medics I have worked with. Please don't lecture me based on my age, what statement have I made that has called my knowledge into question? As an instructor, I teach people much older than me all of the time, so the age argument is pretty pointless. I've been in the field since I was 18. May not be 20 years, but I have been doing this long enough to know a thing or two about a thing or two. It seems my age is in question a lot, even here on the job. All doubt goes out the window after they run the fist call with me, or ask me a question. That is why I get so defensive about this.

No offense intended. I'm not calling your age into question, your knowledge, nor your abilities. You are missing my point.

What I was saying is that one's perceptions, attitudes, and ideas change as you progress throughout your career. The skills we practice are the easy part- they can be taught. Knowing the subtleties of the job, how to handle certain situations- that's what takes time. I'm not saying we make poor decisions early on, but when we are presented with one of those strange situations that make you scratch your head, the longer we've been doing this, the more likely we are to have been through something similar. It's also more likely that maturity and experience can make a difficult/unusual situation a bit easier.

Again, as we progress through our careers, often times our attitudes, priorities, and ideas change, depending on who our mentors are and the experiences we have. That was my point.

Ok, but my statement was not based on opinion, feeling, attitude, or experience. It was based on research. It is my intent, throughout my career, to base my treatment decisions on evidence-based medicine. That was the point of my rebuttal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.