Watch New Zealand's Paramedics in Action

Hey all;

Below are some links to our own local TV series called Rapid Response which follows around our ALS Paramedics in Auckland.

The files are .FLV which is Flash Video but can be played in VLC, Quicktime etc (I think they have native support) or any other player including WMP (but you need FFDShow codec)

You will notice we are a bit quirky in the way we operate, so the following local lingo is essential:

Primary Care Officer - volunteers who are used to augment paid staff and make a 2 person crew (very suprised if you see any on here)

Ambulance Officer - read EMT Basic

Paramedic - read EMT Intermediate

Advanced Paramedic - read EMT Paramedic

Patients are classified as status one to four:

Status 1 - unstable, imminent life threat

Status 2 - unstable, serious life threat

Status 3 - stable with potential to change

Status 4 - stable and not likely to change

I am sure Scotty and I'd love to hear what you think of how we work B)

Episode One (includes a cardiac arrest)

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Episode Two (includes a cardiac arrest)

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Episdode Three

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Episode Four

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Episode Five

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Episode Six

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Edited by kiwimedic

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Below are some links to our own local TV series called Rapid Response which follows around our ALS Paramedics in Auckland.

Because the source video was only viewable here in NZ I had to rip and convert then reupload it; go my mad technical skills. New link are below

I have only ripped the first episode that includes acardiac arrest for the time being; the rest will come later today

Episode One

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Edited by kiwimedic

The audio is pretty badly out of sync for me but it is still an interesting watch. You guys talk funny! haha

I understand the show is designed for laypeople, so it is a bit frustrating for me to watch, knowing how much is being cut out. Did they ever shock the guy in VF or did he just spontaneously regain a rhythm (as depicted in the show)? Did they RSI (the medic was talking about seeing vessiculations), and if so why was he fighting the tube? For the hanging guy, it seemed like they spent a really long time on scene doing nothing, and then transported without securing the guy's head to the backboard....

I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the editing, as you don't really get a sense for what is happening in what order. I enjoyed that though. Thanks!!

I can only get audio... Is there a video that should go with it?

I can only get audio... Is there a video that should go with it?

Yeah. You're probably missing the codec you need. There is a free program out there called "gspot" which will analyze the file you've got and let you know what codecs you need to run it.

EDIT: here it is http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Edited by fiznat

The audio is pretty badly out of sync for me but it is still an interesting watch. You guys talk funny! haha

I understand the show is designed for laypeople, so it is a bit frustrating for me to watch, knowing how much is being cut out. Did they ever shock the guy in VF or did he just spontaneously regain a rhythm (as depicted in the show)? Did they RSI (the medic was talking about seeing vessiculations), and if so why was he fighting the tube? For the hanging guy, it seemed like they spent a really long time on scene doing nothing, and then transported without securing the guy's head to the backboard....

I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the editing, as you don't really get a sense for what is happening in what order. I enjoyed that though. Thanks!!

I can only assume they shocked him, you hear the medic saying "shock it". They did sedate him with rohypnoval (I hear they also have rocronium and sux) but it's not something that's made its way out of the Auckland service from what I understand.

There are some noises being made about requiring us to tape down people to the board and/or transport them on a board. Our guidelines state that "Spine boards are recommended as extrication aids only and patients should not be routinely transported on them".

Second ep is below (the audio is in sync now)

Episode Two (includes another cardiac arrest)

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

There are some noises being made about requiring us to tape down people to the board and/or transport them on a board. Our guidelines state that "Spine boards are recommended as extrication aids only and patients should not be routinely transported on them".

Thats interesting! So you guys don't secure the patient to the board at all? Here in the US it is pretty much required if we are going to immobilize the c-spine. Do you rely entirely on the collar to prevent movement of the head/spine?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.